Chapter 19: Tangerine

Citlali's POV

Moon carried me for a while longer and then set me down. He pretented to bow so lowly he sat down and said apologetically:

"Miss, this is as far as my old bones may go."

I curtsied back and smiled, offering him my hand so he could stand again.

"That's quite alright my friend. I shall thank thee with..." I fumbled around in my pockets for something.

"Ah-ha!" I pulled out a cigarette and lit it for him.

He winked and dragged on it, smoking as we walked towards the docks.

"Boat ride, anyone?" I proposed. No one said nothing except Keith and Bonzo, that after sharing a look, snickered.

"Let me rephrase that. Who knows how to canoe?"

Robert and Bonzo lifted a hand tentatively. Keith raised his arm in a Hitlerian salute and I raised an eyebrow.

I didn't know if I could trust the God of malice, but I decided to.

We rented three canoes. Bonham was in the stern with Jimmy and Roger. Moon was in the second canoe with Jonesy and Pete. That left a third canoe for Robert and I. I let him take the stern and positioned myself on the front.

"Just pretend this is a Monet painting." I called back to him as he began to paddle, the others in tow.

"It'd rather pretend it's Venice." He answered, a smile in his voice.

"Oh yes, that could be the bridge of Sighs. And that would lead us to the Piazza San Marco." Jimmy said slightly mocking as his canoe levelled with ours.

His face was sullen as he gripped the edges of the canoe tightly. Roger was winking at passerbys, completely oblivious. At least they weren't in Moon's canoe.

Jimmy's POV

I thanked again and again for not having been put on Keith's canoe. He seemed to be having a lot of fun paddling as if he were on a rowboat, dragging all the waterplants along with his paddle.

Jonesy was quiet but his eyes looked alert as he watched the water wearily.

Bonzo's POV

I was tranquil until I felt something wet slap me across the back.

I turned round to face a mischievous smile and an upraised paddle. Pete looked caught between a laugh and a snort of surprise. Jonesy didn't look happy at all.

Citlali and Robert were talking merrily about gondoliers, not having noticed anything.

I tried to ignore the fact that my back was soaked through for we were on a canoe and if my temper flared i'd tip us all.

"Come on then, Bonzo." Keith challenged and I smiled, all too willing to accept.

I drew back the paddle, trying not to splash Jonesy and Pete. But I very poorly avoided it. I soaked them all three and Keith already moved in retaliation.

"Fucking Christ, really?" I heard Pete protest. I paddled hard, trying to get us away from his canoe and only managed to crash into Robert's.

Robert's POV

The canoe shuddered violently. She had been sitting across from me. We were talking about water lilies and Chagall.

We turned at the same time. Bonzo was half standing, trying to smack Keith in the head with the paddle. Keith was leaning out of the canoe as far as he could, tipping to a side.

I looked at Citlali, and asked:

"Do we help?"

She shrugged, probably realizing that it was futile. I paddled back and she reached for Jimmy, trying to help him steady his canoe. Bonham and Moon were having too much fun to care about their poor passengers.

Pete and Jonesy didn't look impressed at all. They were already soaked through, being tipped into the lake wouldn't make any difference.

Citlali's POV

"Probably should not have trusted Moonie" I grumbled as I fought to steady the canoe. Bonham was moving too much and it was causing me to tip myself.

"I cannot believe you did." Jimmy said glumly.

"Keith, John. " Robert tried to reason but he got smacked with a wet paddle instead.

"Well that fucking does it." He threatened, leaning forwards and pushing John back. This tipped our canoe to the side and water began pouring in on the side as I fell into the murky lake.

Jimmy tried to help me steady myself but that just caused the tipping of his own canoe. Bonham's weigh dunked it to a side and Jimmy did the rest.

The water was icy cold and I could feel plants against my legs.

Robert's golden locks clung to his face like a wet cat. He helped me turn over our canoe with an apologetic smile and then we both pushed Jimmy's over too.

Keith was sitting triumphantly by the stern of his untipped canoe, a winning smile on his face. Pete was trying to prevent himself from grinning.

It took a while for us to get back in our respective canoes and we were shivering by the time we began paddling again.

"Cit." Robert began.

"Shush." I told him, this time in the stern and paddling fast to warm myself up. The two other canoes carried quiet shivering men.

Bonzo's POV

"Well played." I said to Moon as we got off at the docks. I smacked him a little too hard on the back in congratulations.

"Fun, fun day." Jimmy said sarcastically, his teeth chattering.

"Good thing we have this, though." Pete said as Citlali produced a half empty bottle of Jack Daniels. She had said nothing since we had left the canoes.

Her mouth was set into a thin line as she walked us back to the ferry dock. Pete was coaxing words out of her as they shared the bottle before passing it on.

She was slightly mad...

Robert's POV

I don't think that swimming in a lake was part of the day schedule. No taxi cab wanted to take us until one of the drivers recognized us and helped us get two taxis to take us.

We were quiet on the ride back, passing the bottle back and forth. Citlali had ridden in the other cab with Jimmy and Pete.

Citlali's POV

Pete wrapped an arm around my shoulders, giving them a squeeze.

"Sorry?" He tried

I smiled. "It's fine." In spite of everything I had had fun and the alcohol was warming me up.

Jimmy gave my knee a squeeze as the cab stopped in front of the Four Seasons.

"Shall we?" Pete offered his hand as he stepped out of the car.

He helped me out and then Jimmy. It seemed to dawn on me then that my clothes were soaked through because an evening breeze was blowing softly.

We went into the elevator, not waiting for the others and shared a sudden laugh. I guess it was just the memories of the trip and the hilariousness of the canoe incident.

Jimmy's POV

Her bags were in Robert's room and she went looking for dry clothes. I sat on the couch waiting for her to shower first.

I could hear her in the bathroom, using the sink, drawing the shower curtain open and then turning the water on.

I closed my eyes, wanting hot chocolate for no apparent reason. 

"Done." I suddenly heard from beside me. She was humming It Won't Be Long as she served herself a scotch.

———————

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK