Chapter 2: Traveling Riverside Blues

Citlali's POV

Four tall men filled the stage, the first one, John Bonham, was topless, he took his place behind the drums and looked expectantly at the crowd. The second, John Paul Jones, was wearing a white and blue shirt, his bass already strapped around his neck. He nodded a little, timidly and smiled. The third, Robert Plant, his golden hair shining under the lights, was wearing a red shirt with a black pattern on it, he laughed delightedly, and the crowd erupted in cheers, I felt giddy and I cheered. The fourth and final man, Jimmy Page made his way up on the stage, the crowd erupted in louder cheers and I felt faint. His curly black hair covered some of his eyes, but he pulled a few curls away and smiled. He was wearing a tight lavender shirt and pink pants that seemed to be made of really soft cloth. I cheered even louder and I felt Sid laugh beside me.

'' Shut up.'' I yelled at him, over the sound of the cheering. He still laughed at me but focused his attention on the stage.

 '' Hello. We are Led Zeppelin.'' said the golden haired man, Robert Plant with a perky voice and a British accent. The crowd cheered again. They started to play, with a song I didn't know, one that Sid told me later was called Train Kept a Rollin'. After that one, they played I Can't Quit You Baby, Jimmy Page started with a small solo, causing the crowd to erupt in cheers as his hands played expertly the guitar. Robert Plant's sweet voice filled the club and he shook his hair as if it were a mane. After that one, came Dazed and Confused, the sound of Jonesy's bass making the walls shake and tremble, I was dancing along to the songs, just going along with the rythm and singing at the same time. '' You know you shook me, baby, you shook me all night long.'' pleaded Robert against the microphone. His eyes scanned the crowd, and met mine, for a short instant.By that time, they were all drenched in sweat, Jimmy's curls stuck to his face, as he played and played, crouching and bending over the crowd, Robert was clutching the microphone in one hand and with the other he played with his golden hair, caressing it and twirling it around. John Paul Jones kept pushing his long bangs out of his face and Bonzo just shook his head like a dog, clearing his eyes.

'' At this point, I'd like to introduce the band.'' he said, while the intro to How Many More Times started. '' The man in the bass, John Paul Jones. The man behind the drums,John Bonham. And the lead guitarist, Jimmy Page.'' the crowd screamed and applauded and Jimmy gave a little curtsey. '' Well, and myself, Robert Plant.'' he finished with a smile, and Jimmy started his riff.The song was mixed with Fever and Money. It was over as fast as it had started. I felt a strange sadness and I ached to go to another concert again. 

'' Thank You, Canada, Thank You, all of you.'' said Robert, wiping his forehead with his hand and smiling, looking into every face of the crowd, and stopping at me again. Was I imagining it? Probably. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and Sid was pulling me towards the exit. 

'' Did you enjoy it?'' he asked, standing outside, putting his hands in his pockets and shivering as the night was a little cold.

'' Hell Yeah.'' I said. 

'' I saw you checking Robert out.'' he said teasingly

'' So what?'' I laughed.

'' Can I walk you home?'' he said, rubbing his eyes.

''Sure.'' I said and we walked to the subway. He got off on Davisville and I got off at Eglington. I arrived home, the house was silent, the clock on the wall said 4 am. I smiled a little, it would be morning soon. I walked up to my room and remembered the small vodka bottle I had in my bag. Changing into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, I drank it down, laughing as I began to feel light-headed again. I had a strong urge to go for a jog, so I could see the sun from the Waterfront. I took my shoes from under the bed and put them on. I went outside and I squealed when the cold wind hit my legs. I shrugged it off and walked to the metro. I got off at King and started running at a slow pace, warming up. 

 A few cars passed me, but, apart from them, the streets were empty. The sky was starting to get lighter and I picked up  the pace, wanting to get to see the sun come up from the harbour. I arrived at the harbour, panting and I sat on the grass, looking at the water, and seeing how the sun was reflected, giving the water a reddish haze. I heard the clearing of a throat and a voice with a british accent slurred:

'' Beautiful, isn't it?'' 

I turned around to see a man, wearing a large overcoat and a fisher's hat that covered his black curls and shaded his face. He threw his breath at my face and it smelt strongly of whiskey. My head had cleared up from the vodka effects on the run, so I was no longer dizzy and the smell bothered me. The man was clearly drunk, and I was curious to look at his face. 

Robert's POV

The show had ended at around 3:30 am, and the boys and I were tired, so we headed to our car and we let it take us back to the Four Seasons we were staying in. I closed my eyes and let the concert replay in my mind, we had done amazing, the crowd was going wild, I'd caught the eye of this girl... Hell, I'd caught the eye of every girl, but this one had had something special. Her eyes were green and had called to me. It had been weird. Oh well... I opened my eyes and stared at my fiends. Bonzo was softly snoring beside me and Jonesy was trying to tickle Bonzo's nose with a feather to see what he would do. Jimmy was leaning against the door, staring at the window and probably thinking of the Jack Daniels bottle awaiting him in his room.

'' You did great, lads.'' said Peter from the passenger's seat. '' Told you you'd do amazing.'' He twisted in his seat to take a good look at us. '' Jonesy, dear, if he chokes on that feather you're the one who's taking it out of his nose.'' he added, smiling. He had a soft spot for Bonzo and always babied him. Jimmy snorted a laugh from the window and Jonesy pouted and stopped playing with the feather. 

''If we stick it up his nose, fast enough, he probably won't notice.'' I whispered to him and he stifled a laugh as Bonzo began to stir. 

'' I had a dream with people talking about feathers.'' he said, waking up. We all laughed and he looked at us, surprised. Before he could say anything else, we arrived at the hotel and we made it up to the last floor of rooms, which was all ours. We had all separate rooms but they were all side by side. Jimmy took the one on my left and Jonesy took the one on my right, Bonzo took the one on the far right, beside Jonesy's and Peter took the one on the far left. ''Good night lads.'' said Peter '' Remember that in three days we're off to the States, so you still have those three days to enjoy the Canadian peace.'' he said, laughing and closing his door. '' and shag a few birds.'' added Jimmy after Peter's door had closed. Jonesy snorted and Bonzo laughed. I smiled at my best mate and closed the door. I threw myself on the bed, not really caring and fell asleep instanly. My dream was only composed by sounds, at first. Soft cricket sounds, as if I were by a pond, and then there was some pounding and the sound of things breaking and I plunged into a deeper asleep and heard no more.

Jimmy's POV

After Robert closed his door, and Jonesy and Bonzo did, I locked mine. I had a few joints in my bag, so I took one out and lit it, smoking it while I paced around the room. I was filled with the giddyness I always felt after every concert and I couldn't sleep, yet. I found the small fridge in my closet and smiled when I found a Jack Daniels bottle that seemed just destined for me. I pulled it out, cradling against my chest, and as I finished my joint, I opened it and took a swig. The alcohol burnt the whole way down my throat, and I greeted it as an old friend. I sat on the edge of my bed, pulling off my shoes, and taking swig after swig from the bottle. I stopped for a minute, to light another joint and I began to feel light-headed. My vision was blurry, and everything seemed hysterical. I crushed the joint in an ashtray on the bedside table and threw the ashtray against the wall that sided with Robert's room, it shattered, because it was made of glass and I laughed. I wanted to take a walk, and I wanted to take a look at the lake, the lake the Canadians were, Oh so proud of. I took a coat from the hanger and a fisher's hat that was lying around. I headed for the door and fumbled with the lock. My patience very short, I punched through the wooden door and made a hole big enough for me to crawl through. I cradled the now half-empty bottle of Jack Daniels against my chest and I slipped the hat on. I barged out of the hotel without calling attention and walked on the empty streets of Toronto, following my best sense on intuiton in a city I didn't know, to find Lake Ontario.