Chapter 1: Rock and Roll

February 2nd, 1969; Toronto

Citlali's POV

'' It'll be fun. You'll see, child. Go enjoy the music and enjoy life.'' said my hippy mother, greeting me with one ticket for the Led Zeppelin concert that night. Led Zeppelin was this recently new British band, founded in 1968. They had only one album out, which I possessed. Their music was pretty good, but I preferred The Beatles and Pink Floyd. Though, the band members were all very sexy and handsome. Jimmy Page could really play, and Robert's golden locks...  I wasn't in the mood to go to a concert, though, but I sighed, pulling up a smile and taking the ticket from her.

'' I will, mother. Thanks.'' 

My mother had always behaved like she was twenty years younger, so she had caught up with the hippy trend that was going on at the moment. I had my hippy side, too, but it went in another direction. I didn't know why Led Zeppelin hadn't called my attention before, and I began to feel thrilled because I would be seeing my first concert, live.

Robert's POV

'' Lads, it will be fine. We will do absolutely great, no doub of that.'' I said, playing with a strand of my hair and twisting it around my finger. Bonzo was drumming his fingers nervously on the glass table, getting on my nerves, Jonesy was nibbling on his nails, looking at his shoes, Jimmy was contemplating hesistantly a bottle of Jack Daniels that sat on the table. 

''Bonzo. Will you please stop?'' I snapped, making him look up. He nodded and leaned back in his seat, closing his eyes and humming. Meditation. Oh, you've got to be kidding me.

Jimmy had finally opened the Jack Daniels bottle, and, too lazy to find a glass, had begun to chug it down by drinking directly from it.

'' The concert is in eight hours, James, and I hope you've sobered up by then.'' reprimanded the voice of our manager Peter Grant, whom had entered the room we were in. Jimmy scowled at the use of his full name but kept drinking. Peter approached Bonzo and placed his hands lightly on his shoulders, startling him. 

''It'll be alright. I know you don't like touring, but you'll do just fine.'' he said affectionately as he squeezed his shoulders and let go. '' You will have to change into your clothes and hour before the show.'' he said, heading out. '' Oh, and Robert, do keep an eye on James. '' he said before he finally left

Jimmy scowled again, he'd brought the bottle down hard on the glass table and he was smiling. His cheeks were a little flushed, and he had a goofy grin. Oh boy, oh boy. 

'' I don't need to be taken care of. I'm not a child.'' he slurred, staring at me. '' Percy, you should know that.'' he slurred again and I smiled at the nickname. He took the bottle from the table and emptied it, he then proceeded to throw it across the room with incredible force and the bottle shattered against the wall. He laughed and he tried standing up, probably looking for another bottle.

'' Oh, no you don't.'' said Bonzo. Pinning him down. I nodded at him and I sat beside Jimmy.

'' You're not going anywhere, Jimmy, love. You're staying right here with us.'' I said in a sweet voice, sounding like a mother.

He scowled again and tried to stand up but Bonzo and I were holding him down, he struggled for a while and then gave up, sighing. '' You're no fun.'' he said, pouting, like a child.

It normally took him about three hours to sober up, so I sat more comfortably as Bonzo did the same while we waited until Jimmy was calm enough to get dressed and we would be able to head to the '' Rock Pile'' where we would be performing. 

Citlali's POV

I went up to my room and sat on my bed, taking the book that sat on my bedside table '' The Aleph'' by Jorge Luis Borges. I enjoyed reading foreign litterature, my small library was filled with Maupassant, Victor Hugo, Lewis Carroll, Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allan Poe, Julio Cortazar and Emile Zola. I read in a sort of pilot mode. I wasn't really paying attention to what I was reading, my mind was babbling internally. What will they play? What should I wear? Isn't it going to be amazing? Wow, I can't believe I'm really going. 

Before too long, it was time to get ready, I wore a pair of black bell-bottom pants and a purple shirt. I braided my hair and added a feather to one of the ends. My ankles were Henna-marked, thin wavy lines encircled my ankles like brown vines. I stuffed the ticket, my keys, money, a joint and a small bottle of vodka in my bag. I checked the clock and knew that I was on time. I kissed my mom on the cheek, thanked her and went outside. I took the subway, from Eglington to Dundas. I got off at Dundas and walked, looking for the street, I lit my joint, not really caring if anyone would notice and I let the smoke engulf me. When I reached the Rock Pile, I felt a little dizzy and light. I entered the Rock Pile bar and sat on my designed seat, feeling light-headed.

'' Hey Cit.'' said a surprised voice. My friend, Sid, named after Hermann Hesse's novel called Siddartha smiled at me. We'd developed a friendship because our nicknames were similar, Cit, Sid. 

'' Hey Sid.'' I smiled back. '' What brings you here?'' I said, forgetting that I was at a concert as my mind was slightly foggy

'' Led Zeppelin?'' he said.

''Oh right, yes.'' I said

'' Are you on something?'' he asked, starting to laugh.

We were interrupted by a clear British voice announcing

'' Ladies and gentlemen, we present to you, Led Zeppelin.'' I got up screaming and cheering with everyone else as the band members began to fill the small stage.