Ch. 2

DEREK POV

Derek stood there unable to process what just happened. Stiles left him with no answer. The way he freaked out Derek couldn't tell if that was a yes or a no or if he even heard the question. He quickly hurried to meet Isaac at their first period: English. When he arrived Isaac had saved him a seat right behind him. He had a big smile plastered on his face and looked as though he was trying his best not to jump out his seat.

"So...?" he questioned "What did he say?"

"Nothing. Not on word" Derek responded flatly. Isaac's face went from excited to obviously confused. "I know he just stood there silent then walked off"

"Talk about cryptic, what's that supposed to mean?" Derek shrugged at Isaac's question lowering his head onto his desk. "He's best friends with Scott McCall. I'll talk to him." before Derek could object Isaac was turning around facing Mrs.Blake who had now entered the class.

STILES POV

Stiles, Scott, and Kira were all working on a series of problems they were assigned. Stiles was trying his hardest to complete the project but all Scott and Kira could focus on was the disaster that took place earlier that morning.

"So you just walked away?"

"Scott! For the millionth time yes" Stiles groaned.

"I don't get it though...Why? I can't wrap my head around it"

"He probably wasn't talking to me" Stiles explained

"But you did say he tapped on your shoulder" Kira pointed out.

"Then he it probably did it as a joke. Look the point is there was a motive behind it"

"Yeah to make you his boyfriend" Scott remarked.

Stiles couldn't respond since the bell rang.

The day went by relatively fast. Stiles spent most of the day trying to avoid Derek, and anyone associated with him. It became especially hard during AP Calculus seeing as though he had Derek in that class. He kept his head down trying to make himself as small as possible. And once the bell rang he was the first out the door. Soon Stiles found himself on the field with Scott in their gear warming up for tryouts.

"Hey where are your glasses?" Stiles was glad Scott had finally been able to talk about something other than Derek.

"Oh they're in my bag. I took your advice and got contacts this break" Scott gave an approving nod. Stiles was at his tenth push-up when he saw Derek walk onto the field. He knew Scott had seen him too because he gave a sly smile. Luckily coach blew the whistle and everyone jogged over.

"Okay ladies" Coach began "Today we'll separate the women from the girls. At the end of today some of you will be first string and some will be warming the bench" Stiles looked at Scott who was smiling like an idiot. They had gotten a lot better he just wasn't sure if it was first string better. "Okay Stilinski in the goal" Shit he thought as everyone hurried onto the field.

Stiles couldn't believe it. Just his luck that he was picked. He stood firm in the goal ready to embarrass himself. First up was Isaac, he came charging at him at an alarming speed and sent the ball flying towards Stiles. Everything seemed to move in slow motion, he extended his stick to where it looked like the ball was going and he caught it. Scott was trying his hardest not to cheer for his friend. Stiles even surprised himself. Jackson was up next he came running to the goal adding turns and flips into the mix. When he finally landed he sent to ball zooming towards the goal...Stiles caught that one too. He went on to catch 3 more throws.

"Nice Stilinski!" Coach yelled "Okay throw your equipment down and give me 8 laps around the field. When you return we'll run some more drills"

Stiles hurried out of the goal removing his helmet, and setting down his stick. He caught up to Scott who had already began his laps.

"Dude!" Scott exclaimed "That was amazing what got into you?"

"I'm not sure I just actually tried this time"

"Well I'm pretty sure I saw Derek smiling at you so he's pretty impressed"

Stiles sighed "Scott let it go"

The end of tryouts came and coach had started to read the first string list. Stiles knew he didn't make it he already started to pack his things up.

"Okay your co-captains are...Hale and Whittemore" Stiles watched as the two boys casually high fived each other "and now first string: Greenberg, Lahey, Boyd, Taylor, Sampson, Steiner brothers, McCall, Māhealani, and Stilinski. I'll see you losers Monday for practice. Dismissed!"

Scott ran over to Stiles like a kid on Christmas "Dude we made it. Senior year and we finally made it !"

"I know, my dad's gonna flip"

Everyone was leaving the field when Derek and Jackson stopped the new first string players.

"Congratulations guys" Jackson started smugly "As a little reward you've all been invited to a secret bon fire tonight. We'll text you the details"

Scott nudged Stiles in his rib "Things are looking up dude"

Stiles gave him a smile slinging his bag over his shoulder. Scott was getting a ride from Kira so he didn't wait for Stiles. So he started towards his jeep. He was almost in the clear when he heard his name being called.

"Uh hey Stiles wait" He recognised the voice from that morning: Derek Hale.

"Oh hi" Derek was the only person ever to leave Stiles at a lost for words

"So... About this morning...you never really gave me an answer"

Stiles looked around trying to find an escape...he was trapped "Oh well I wasn't sure you were talking to me." Stiles explained scratching the back of his neck "I wasn't even sure if you were serious"

"Well why wouldn't I be?" Derek questioned

"I don't know if you've noticed but people aren't really attracted to me. I mean you could have anyone in this school...literally and it's unrealistic you'd pick me" He took a breath "Look was this a bet? I think I'd feel better knowing it was a bet"

Derek was surprised " No no no! It wasn't a bet, and I know I can have anyone here I just happen to choose you"

"Why? I don't understand"

"Maybe there's nothing to understand, maybe I just like you" Derek explained

"But...But why?"

"I don't know Stiles" he laughed "It'd be be easier to just say it's everything about you"

Stiles, once again, was at a loss for words. He didn't want to believe Derek, there was no way he was serious but Derek was persistent.

"So you think you'll give me an answer now?" Derek remarked smirking a bit.

"Uh...yeah...sure" Stiles was still looking for words.

"How about tonight? At the bonfire?"

"I guess that's fine"

Stiles walked off to his jeep. He had a date with Derek Hale.