Ch. 14

DEREK POV

Derek couldn't just sit in that room anymore. He threw on his jacket, that letter still firmly in his grip. He sped down the stairs, and outside into his camaro. Derek was driving to one of the only places that made him feel better. He took a sharp turn into the woods onto a dirt road. When he came to a final stop he was parked on a cliff overlooking Beacon Hills. Taking a deep breath he let the tears roll down his face not caring anymore. He couldn't go to the hospital or else his mind would run wild thinking about what was happening behind the doors of the operation room. He couldn't stay home or else he'd lay in his bed crying uncontrollably, so he went to that cliff. Exiting the car Derek leaned on the hood taking in the view of the town. This was where he and Stiles came on their first date, and it always made him feel a bit better. Being there now and knowing where his boyfriend was didn't help his mood in the slightest, but it brought back memories, ones that always calmed Derek down.

~FLASHBACK~

Derek and Stiles were sitting in the sleek black camaro at the end of their date. They had been making out for a while and Derek was sure he was in heaven. He didn't look it, but Stiles was an amazing kisser and he was making Derek feel all kinds of sparks. It all came to a halt as Stiles slowly pulled away smiling.

"What is it?" Derek asked

"You know a lot of people would have given up"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I was a real dick to you and you just kept coming back, and i'll never understand why" Stiles confessed

"I told you, I liked you, and it helps that I'm relentless." Derek laughed " I soon caught on that you liked me too, when you weren't trying to get away from me, and you were real. I knew deep down I could never give up. I guess It was the way you smiled every time I said a word that made the whole thing worthwhile"

"Can I just say, I'm glad you never gave up" Stiles admitted leaning back in to kiss his boyfriend.

"Me too" Derek laughed

~END FLASHBACK~

Derek laughed to himself, he loved Stiles and the closer they got the faster it seemed to grow.
It was pushing 11:30 pm and Derek had decided to return to the hospital. Staying away from him wasn't helping, even though not knowing what was going on in that operation room was killing him he had to be there, and right now he felt like he was letting him down. Everyone was there, everyone was waiting. Derek still had the letter folded in his pocket as went to sit down. He took the open seat next to John. Scott and Kira were sitting across from them whispering about something, and Isaac was leaning up against the wall finding it harder to keep his eyes open. Lydia had shown up during Derek's absence and was looking down at her phone. Mr.Stilinski tried multiple times to get them all to go home, but no one budged, and no one was moving. Derek looked down at his watch 12:15 am the surgery was pushing 8 hours and Derek was becoming restless. 1:30 am the Sheriff was returning with coffee from the cafeteria, Scott and Kira were still quietly sitting in the waiting chairs, and Isaac had fallen asleep. Derek had his legs stretched over two waiting room chairs, his head thrown back trying to stay awake.

"Ahem" the doctor began trying to read the name on his clipboard. He soon settled for "Stilinski? " His scrubs were covered in blood, and thought of knowing it was Stiles made Derek freeze. He needed an answer as soon as possible, and was trying to read the doctor's expression for a reaction but was coming up short.

Everyone jumped pacing toward the doctor, Scott woke Isaac with a gentle, but swift kick and he soon followed suit.

"Uh yes that's my son" they all locked in, fixated on the doctor. All of them could lose someone they loved, someone they cared about in a split second. It all came down to this one moment.

The doctor finally spoke " It was touch and go for a long while there but we were able to stop the bleeding and bring the swelling of his brain down" he explained "He won't be awake for a while, and he's been moved to the ICU"

All in unison every one of them let out a breath. Derek found himself hugging John smiling uncontrollably. 

"Can we see him?" Scott just about yelled

"Well..." he began. The doctor made a look like he was going to turn them away, but before he could Mr.Stilinski murmured a low "Please"

"Of course. Follow me"

They were lead to a room in the ICU wing of the hospital. Stiles was in a bed in the middle of the room. There were tubes coming from his mouth, and a machine beside the bed beeping matching the rhythm of his heart. The brown moles that scattered his skin like constellations across his body were the only source of color on his pale skin.

"How long does he have to be like this?" Derek asked everyone taking a seat.

"We'll be able to take the tubes out in a day or so. He should wake up within the next week or two"

Derek tried not to focus on the fact that there was still at least a week before he'd be able to talk to his sarcastic boyfriend again. He was just happy knowing he'd be able to.

~ 6 DAYS LATER~

Tuesday Lydia, and the entire team had stopped by to see him, they had played their last game of the quarter and they were all talking about how much of a big help he would've been. Even Jackson came by bringing with him a bouquet of flowers.

It was pushing day 6. Sometimes Stiles would stir, or make noises that made Derek jump, but he was told it wasn't anything for him to worry about.

Today was like any other, Derek sat at the table besides Stiles' bed flipping through the chapters he had to read for his english homework assignment. Like clockwork he had been there every day after lacrosse practice to sit with Stiles. It was quiet, usually Derek would talk to him telling him about some insane thing that happened at school or practice earlier that day. But at the moment he sat in silence his head stuck in the book. Then, out of nowhere, it happened.

"Do you mind closing those blinds?" it was groggy, it was quiet but it was there. Derek was sure he had imagined it. He lowered his book to where his eyes could barely peer over the edge. Stiles' eyes were squinting at the sunlight, and he was barely able to move as he slowly stirred trying to get more comfortable. Not missing a beat Derek jumped up rushing over to him.

"Stiles! You- you're back I-I mean you're awake!"

"Yeah, yeah I am"

"I-I don't know- I mean do you need something, h-how do you feel?"

"Can I have some water?" his voice raspy and groggy. Derek reached over with lightening speed grabbing the pitcher with a trembling hand and pouring a cup full. He returned with cautioned movements slowly moving the straw to Stiles' lips, and he rose his head. He proceeded to sip through the straw finishing the cup. Derek pulled it away placing it back on the table. Stiles slowly put his head back down on to his pillow.

"How long has it been" he asked

Derek's voice was cracking "About a week"

"Please don't tell me  you here everyday" Derek gave a nod.

"I told you, I'd never give up on you" he smiled holding in his tears "I'm going to go get your doctor" Derek hurried out of the room nearly falling on his face. Stiles was awake.