Ch. 15

STILES POV

Dr. Hampton opened one eye flashing a light back and forth through it, then he moved to the next and repeated the process. Stiles laid in the bed the usual suspects, plus Lydia all circled around him just staring. After finishing several more procedures the doctor stepped back smiling, jotting down notes on his clipboard.

"Well Stiles everything is looking fine"

"That's nice, when can I go home?"

"Well considering you only woke up a few hours ago it won't be soon. You still have to finish your recovery"

"Recovery? So I'm not fine?" Stiles continued to question.

"Recovery just means going through PT and letting everything heal fully" he explained.

"Why do I need physical therapy?"

Mr.Stilinski let out a breath laughing "Stiles will you just listen to the doctor please"

"Sorry"

He left with a chuckle wrapping his stethoscope around his neck. Everyone stood circled around the bed. Some of them were content with excitement, and some had awkward looks on their faces. Stiles for the most part stared right back at them until the tension started to eat him up.

"Either someone speak, or everyone is getting out" Stiles huffed

Lydia laughed "Jeez Stiles don't get so touchy"

"Well I've got six pairs of eyes on me, everyone is quiet and looking at me like a ghost or something"

"We thought you were dead dude. None of us have have spoken to you in a little over a week." Isaac joked earning a jab in the ribs from Scott.

"Well nobody's speaking" Stiles said laughing

"Sorry grumpy pants what do you want to talk about?" Lydia laughed sitting down besides him.

"I don't know maybe something greasy" Stiles smiled shooting his eyebrows up and down "Maybe some curly fries"

"You know we can't bring that in here" Scott told him

"You can sneak it in, this food sucks they're trying to kill me"

Mr.Stilinski laughed "We can work something out"

Stiles glanced across the room at Derek who was laughing silently behind it all. He was one of the few who earlier stood looking around awkwardly. They had yet to be alone since he left to get the doctor hours earlier. John saw this following Stiles' gaze which ended at an almost upset looking Derek.

"Okay kids I think take-out is a good idea let's get going" he ushered everyone out the room leaving the two boys alone.

Stiles watched as Derek had moved his hands into his jacket pockets looking down at his shoes. He looked guilty, and had yet to speak. So Stiles sat in that hospital bed, hands placed softly in his lap patiently waiting. Or at least trying, patience wasn't really one of his better traits.

"You just going to stand there?" Stiles asked as Derek gave a nervous smile and came to sit beside him. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No no of course not" he responded quickly, grabbing his cold hands.

"Well I'm in the dog house for something" he laughed slightly.

"I just don't know what to say. I mean I sat here every day thinking I knew what I would say to you and I guess I don't"

"It doesn't have to be big and elaborate Der" he situated himself on the hospital bed, still smiling "How's school been?"

"School? Really?" Derek turned a little more serious. He didn't understand.

Stiles simply shrugged "Why not? We can talk about the team, or if the camera I got you was any good, or oooooo midterms, god I can't believe I slept through those"

"Why are you joking? I mean I thought I lost you. For days on end I sat here not knowing If I'd ever be with you again. I had convinced myself all of this was my fault and you wanna talk about midterms?" Derek was looking him in the eyes now "You were gone Stiles, and I was alone without you"

"-but I'm back now until you tell me to go I'm not leaving again, and unless you were driving that truck none of this was your fault. Yeah I almost died but I didn't, I'm here with you. If you want to sit around talking about my near death experience then be my guest, I'll do whatever it takes to make you happy. I'll tell you how scared I was, how badly I was gonna miss everyone, how I made 20 different drafts of that letter I wrote because I couldn't find the right way to say goodbye to you. I'll tell you all of it." He moved his hand to lift Derek chin bringing his mesmerizing green eyes to meet his whiskey brown ones " Or we could also take the second chance we were just given and pick up where we left off, It's up to you"

Stiles stared at Derek waiting for a reaction. He acted big and tough but when it was just the two of them, and he was true and he was real he could be a big softy. Stiles couldn't tell if he upset Derek or not so he continued sitting there waiting for a response.

Derek rose his head sitting up in the chair, still holding Stiles' hand. He exhaled a breath letting words escape with it "I'm pretty sure I passed most of my midterms"

Stiles smiled down at his boyfriend "Why most?"

"Well calculus was crazy hard, and my tutor was a little...preoccupied"

He laughed at Derek "Even If I were there you wouldn't let me teach you a thing, you never do, you just-" Derek swiftly moved over to kiss him. For the first time, in a long time he got to feel his rose petal lips brush against his. Stiles' hand came up to cup his cheek bringing them closer together just as Derek pulled away smiling "That, you just do that" Stiles finished.

"Well I miss doing that"

DEREK POV

Derek continued to come by the hospital everyday. With Stiles being awake and able to respond when he spoke he always ended up staying past visiting hours. Stiles would be able to go home in a few days, he still had to "retrain his brain" as Dr. Hampton put it, and he had to go through physical therapy regaining his muscles. Melissa recommended things simple as getting up and walking around. So on days like today Derek would drag Stiles out of bed for walks outside.

"So, you get to go home tomorrow" he said grabbing a hold of Stiles' hand

"Yeah. Good thing too, I was beginning to feel like I'm in a nut house"

"Have you figured out what you're gonna do about school?"

"My teachers put together some study packets. Due to the little 'accident' they're just requiring I take the midterms"

"Well break just started how are you gonna get it done?"

"Going to take them next Wednesday. What's with all the questions?" He asked all in one breath.

"Nothing"

"A part of being your boyfriend is knowing when your lying... So I'm just putting that out there"

Derek let out a laughing sigh of defeat "You got me. My parents have this cabin, house thing and we were all going up there this weekend, I thought if you were feeling up for it maybe you'd want to join?"

"You're proposing an entire weekend cooped up in a cabin, house thing with you and all our friends?" Stiles asked sarcastically doubtful "I guess it's better than being here"

"Thank you" Derek smiled pulling his boyfriend close, giving him a peck on his cheek.