Ch. 4

STILES POV

BzzzzBzzzz

Stiles woke up to the annoying sound of his phone vibrating to notifications. He reached over to see a text from Scott.

Scotty: Hey dude! Where did you go?

Stiles: Sorry about last night bro, did you get home?

Scotty: Yeah Kira drove me

Stiles: Sorry I had to get out of there.

Scotty: I know, I heard

Stiles tensed up quickly turning to an upright position in his bed. Was the entire school in on it?

Stiles: You heard?

He tried to stay calm. It was still early and he hadn't taken his pills which meant it was ten times more likely for Stiles to freak out.

Scotty: Yeah. When I went looking for you I overheard Jackson and Aiden laughing about something Derek said to you. I put it all together.

Stiles: Well I'm good dude, and I'm sorry from ditching you.

Scotty: You wanna talk about it?

Stiles: Not really Scotty, no. I'll talk to you later.

Stiles sat staring at his phone. He was relieved not everyone found out, but he was still internally punching himself for allowing himself to even slightly let someone in. This always happened to him, and hated that he couldn't just figure out that he shouldn't get close to people, romantically anyway. Stiles threw on his glasses and lazily went downstairs to the kitchen. He popped a bag of popped corn and found a comfortable spot on the couch. He didn't plan on moving until Monday.

DEREK POV

Those dumbasses. They ruined everything Derek thought to himself. It was Saturday night and he hadn't heard from Stiles. He wasn't returning Derek's texts or answering his calls, he needed Stiles to know that it was all real and not to let his idiot friends convince him any different. He needed to get to him one way or another but he probably also needed his space. Derek pulled out his phone.

Derek: Hey

Scott M: What do you want Derek?

Derek: I assume Stiles told you?

Scott M: No, but Stiles disappearing and me eavesdropping on Jackson and Aiden's conversation kinda helped me put two and two together.

Derek: Truth is I didn't know they were there. I didn't even know anyone knew where I was.

Scott M: Why should I believe you?

Derek: Because I really like Stiles, he makes me crazy. And he gave me a chance I wouldn't mess that up.

Derek: Isaac can vouch for me...Can we meet up?

Scott M: Sure. I'm kinda at the hospital right now, my mom's working.

Derek: Already on my way

Derek grabbed the keys off his nightstand and hurried down the stairs.

"I'll be back mom" Derek yelled. He didn't stick around to hear her answer. His black camaro was soon pulling into the hospital parking lot. He had seen Scott waiting outside casually scrolling through his phone.

"Hey" he acknowledged approaching Scott.

"Hey yourself"

"I'll cut to the chase then" Derek told the boy "Are you gonna help me get back on Stiles' good side or not?"

"I could help you and that still wouldn't be enough. Stiles isn't really one for dating, or trusting, or opening up to people in general" Scott explained

Derek took a seat next to him a questioning look on his face "Well why not"

He looked up at Derek "You really don't know?" Scott turned now facing him. When he seen Derek honestly had no idea what he was talking about he continued "You remember that dick Ronnie Jamison. From freshmen year?"

Derek nodded.

"Well, a while after Stiles came out Ronnie decided he wanted to go on a date with him. They went out about 3 times and he made Stiles feel like everything was real...he made him feel like it was something special." Scott took another breath, then began again " Anyways one day Stiles came to school. Everyone's staring at him, everyone's whispering and he couldn't figure out why. Then he gets to his locker...and he saw it. The word faggot was spray painted on his locker door. Stiles could see Ronnie and his friends standing in the corner laughing. He was crying, and just when he thought It couldn't get any worse he could hear a conversation start playing on the P.A. system he soon came to find that it was a private conversation he had with Ronnie, he didn't know he recorded it. Stiles basically shut everyone out, he went to online school for the rest of the semester. I had to go to his house to hang out with him because he wouldn't leave his room"

Derek had a guilty look creep into his eyes. He couldn't believe it, but it explained why Stiles was acting the way he was "I remember, I was gone that week, I heard about it when I got back. I didn't know that was Stiles."

"Well now you know. He's stubborn as hell and was hurt pretty bad, that's not a good combination. But you needed to know if you really want to be with him"

He looked up making eye contact with Scott. He thought about the way he felt everytime he saw Stiles, how his heart fluttered when they had their short lived moment in the woods that night. Everything he needed everything he wanted he found in Stiles "I really want to be with him"

"Well then we've got our work cut out for us" he breathed out, standing to walk to his bike "We'll go to his house tomorrow an-"

"Wait we're just gonna go over there? Just like that?"

"Yeah. Stiles also isn't really one for confrontation so he won't kick you out or scream at you. Not in front of me at least." Scott sat on his bike "Sometime during it all I'll find an excuse to leave. He's gonna freak out being left alone with you because he's knows it means he'll have to be real. The tension will eat him up but he'll talk eventually"

"You really think he'll forgive me after that?" Derek asked

"No definitely not, but he will be more open to being friends with you and that's a step"

"Wow you really know him"

"Well I am his bestfriend. That being said if I help you and you break his heart, I don't care how big you are I will kick your ass"

Derek chuckled "Duly noted"