Ch. 7

DEREK POV

Derek watched the blonde haired boy intently as he flirted with his Stiles. He had enough trouble trying get Stiles to go out with him and this guy just swoops in out of nowhere making things harder. Derek was currently supposed to be working on a series of problems with his group but he couldn't tear his eyes away. Dean had transferred in during the middle of the semester so he needed to be caught up. Stiles being the genius that he is was the one chosen to tutor him. They stood at the white board, Stiles was chatting on and on explaining integrals and area. Derek smiled suddenly feeling a surge of happiness, he loved how serious and passionate Stiles got when he talked about something he enjoyed. The happiness was short lived. Derek wiped the smile off his face once he saw Dean flirtatiously grab Stiles' arm laughing at something he said. He never saw himself as the possessive type but in that moment he wanted to rip that guy's throat out.

The bell rang there after and Derek found himself packing incredibly fast. He wanted to steal Stiles away before Dean had the chance. He walked calmly towards the two boys. He was readying himself to whisk Stiles away when he caught the end of a conversation they were having.

"So you said you play lacrosse?" Dean asked

"Yeah. Our first game is next week"

"Brains, beauty, and athletic" Dean smiled "You're boyfriend's a lucky guy"

Stiles looked up, slightly surprised he could tell he was gay "Oh I don't have a boyfriend"

"Well... I'm not sad to hear that" Dean cooed

Stiles blushed furiously. His face momentarily painted with a light shade of pink. Derek was furious, Dean was flirting with Stiles. He was making him blush and saying sweet things.

"Maybe I'll come cheer you on at your game" Dean was heading towards the door, and Derek was trying so very hard to to "accidentally" throw him to the ground " I'll see you around"

Stiles waved turning around to face a semi-calm and collected Derek.

"Oh hey Der" he was upset but hearing the nick name escape Stiles' lips seemed to make things a little better. He wanted to bombard Stiles with questions, scold him for flirting with another guy. But because they weren't dating and Stiles wasn't his, he had to pretend he wasn't breaking.

"Hey. I just wanted to see if you wanted to grab lunch with me"

"Sure. Where'd you have in mind?"

" That old diner everyone hates. They have pretty good milkshakes and their curly fries aren't all that bad either".

" You had me at curly fries"

STILES POV

Stiles sat in Derek's Camaro driving to the diner. He could tell something was off about him. They had been talking about their day so far and Derek wasn't completely there he figured he'd ask him at the diner.

They entered the blue moon diner and were instantly seated at a booth and set with menus. Derek was completely quiet now silently looking over the menu. He invited Stiles but for some reason was acting upset with him. Stiles couldn't think of what he did wrong, he assumed they were on the same page. They ordered their food Stiles getting a platter of curly fries, and Derek a classic ham sandwich.

"What's wrong?" Stiles finally broke.

"What are you talking about? Nothings wrong"

"You may think you're being subtle but you're wearing your feelings like a coat of armor" he watched Derek huff not meeting Stiles' gaze

" It's nothing I want to get into"

"Not a good move for someone who wants me to trust them"

Derek scoffed

"What is it?"

"Ask Dean" Derek slightly snapped

Stiles was taken back " Is that what this is about? You're jealous?"

Just under his breath he muttered "I'm not jealous"

" It sure sounds like it" he smiled, reaching for the ketchup " Derek you don't have a reason to be jealous, and not just because  you and I aren't dating. But because I'm not into Dean like that."

"Could've fooled me "

"Derek why are you upset"

"Because...Because I am jealous alright. You caught me" he began " It kills me to see you with other guys. I wanna be the one making you laugh, making you blush. When people casually try to ask if you're single I should be the one you have to tell them about, but because we're not together and because I can't be selfish with you I'm jealous" Stiles was frozen. Somehow Derek admitting his jealousy and turning into a little green monster opened a door Stiles would never be able to close again. He stood up removing himself from behind the booth.

"Where are you going?" Derek questioned

"I have to go"

"But Stiles wai-" he stood up ready to chase after him.

"No Der I'm fine really I just need some fresh air" and with that he was out the door.

Stiles was going to talk to the only person who could help him.

Beacon Hills Cemetery Stiles read pushing past the rust covered gates. Stiles needed to talk to his mom. She died when he was 11, and Stiles missed her everyday.

He lowered himself into the grass beside her plot

"Hey mom I'm back" he started "Twice in one week, well that's because there's been a lot going on, especially with Derek. He's just so crazy, and it makes me so crazy. I can't get him out of my head, and he says stuff like that today and it just makes me want to forget everything that happened to me. Sometimes I worry that maybe I want to stop liking Derek because I actually, in some way, trust him" Stiles couldn't help but think he was wrong about Derek the entire time. When he return to school he hurried to practice, a dangerous idea in his mind. One he swore he'd try.

Practice ran smoothly, that was until Greenberg ran the wrong play prompting coach to tear him a new one. He then proceed to talk about the upcoming game. He gave them pointers, plays and assigned positions. Stiles would be on the field the whole game and he didn't want to mess it up.

Stiles tossed his gym bag in the back of his jeep. He ran a trembling hand through his hair thinking back to his earlier thoughts. Am I'm really going to do this? He asked himself. Yes, no backing down. He took a breath and braced himself. He turned around ready to head back into the school when he was startled by a handsome green-eyed-boy waiting for him. Derek stood in front of Stiles clutching a bag.

" So you left your backpack in my car" he spoke handing Stiles the bag.

"Thanks" He took it, and turned throwing the bag in his car.

"Look Stiles about earlier..." Derek began to speak while Stiles' heart pounded. Was he really gonna do this? It was insane...but he had to.

"I just wanted to say I'm-" Derek tried to apologize but before he could Stiles surged forward pressing their lips together. He felt Derek's hands slide up his body to his face cupping his cheeks, while he let his own arms wrap around Derek's waist. Their lips moving together in synch was enough to make Stiles' heart stop. His lips were soft, and sweet as they continued to brush gently against Stiles'. Realizing this had went on for only a few seconds, and not the eternity it seemed Stiles slid his hand up to press a soft palm against his chest, and pulled away.

"I gotta go" Stiles told the surprised looking boy while hopping in his jeep "I'll see you later"

Stiles drove away with his answer leaving Derek dumbfounded.