Jack of Diamonds

The Deal

The entire deck is then dealt face-down one card at a time in clockwise order (with four players, each player should receive 13 cards).The players then pick up their cards, verify the correct count of the cards, and arrange them as desired (the most common arrangement is by suit, then rank).

What's your first card?

"Hello?"

Your keys jingled free from the keyhole, allowing you to pocket your keys into your workbag. The surrounding corners of your apartment remained the same. From the laid out newspaper spread out on your table for two to your sticky note with the now emptied glass settled on the coffee table.

He's downed the pain relief, so he must be here..! Unless, he's left--

THUMP!

The impact from your back colliding on the ground is like getting the wind knock out of you.

What? Who?!

Almost immediately, your neck was constricted by what felt like large yet slim fingers. The feeling of suffocation from last night resurfaced once more. You felt trapped.

"L-L-Let go!"

It took every ounce of your strength to try to claw him away from you, his eyes squinted at you, "Who.. Who are you?"

Out of defense for your life, you pinched his neck, distracting him for a while, before you kneed his family jewels, causing him to fall back after you kicked his chest.

"S-so.. you've.." you hacked again, "Forgotten your saviour who gave you shelter--?" Panting heavily and coughed once more.

The male grunted in pain from the impact as his dark eyes met yours bitterly, but soon evaporated when he calmed down at your words.

"Oh.. you're the one who took me in..." His eyes lay downcast, after he glanced at the empty glass that he gulped down.

"A nurse..."

"Yes. But, you need to go to the hospital, those--" you pointed at his chest area, "i-injuries could kill you if it's not properly treated.." Your subtle outburst only enticed him to roar in laughter, which only ignited your flaming vexation.

Does he think what I'm saying is a joke?!

"Look, sweetheart. Don't fret over me. You should be more worried about yourself," He stood up at an intimidating height, as he tower over your seated figure on the floor.

"Haven't you heard of stranger danger? Taking in a complete stranger like me, not knowing whether I could be a serial killer--" He crouched in front of you, his alabaster fingers curled around your delicate yet bruise-littered neck, while your eyes held defiance, "--a victim or just--" He gradually released your neck, but trailed his elongated fingers across the bruises, "a homeless man. I could murder you in cold blood right now in your position and you would still not know who I am."

I need to stay calm..

He tilted his head in bewilderment, his fingers still ghosting over your neckline, while his line of sight was towards the damage he has done before raising his orbs back at yours.

You held your ground.

"I-I know. But you pleaded for help-" keeping eye contact was difficult, seeing that you do not know what this man is about to do. Gulping your saliva down, you muttered, "I can't stand by if it's within my capability to help someone."