Mike & and the tv of doom

As we zipped around in the elevator, my gaze drifted every now and then to Willy, watching as a dark cloud crossed his face. 'He's thinking back to memories probably, that the same way we look every time we stop and think how far we've come.' Katie's voice was calmer then usual and I listened to it and nodded slightly. We do often regret our decisions don't we? 'I said nothing about regret, only decisions. The problem with you is you worry too much. We could've had it a lot worse, but we don't.' And as she retreated to the back of my mind, I knew she was telling the truth.

"I wanna pick a room!" Mike's voice brought me back to reality, eyes hardening alongside his. It occurred to me right then and there that there was only him and Charlie left. Willy grinned at him, it was a kind of strained one, like he was thinking about something unpleasant.

"Go ahead." I watched the boy's eyes scan the wall of buttons before pressing one that said TV Room. One corner of my lips turned up, Katie's loud laugh sounded far off, then Willy looked into my eyes. And the world unexpectedly stopped.

Maybe it was a few seconds or a single minute but I became acutely aware of his eyes looking into mine and the candy fireworks going off around the elevator, and Katie holding her breath alongside mine. There was something about the way he looked at me that stopped every last once of doubt coursing inside me. I wanted those eyes to keep on looking at me, to always gaze upon me with such calm chocolate beauty. But then he glanced away, and the spell was broken.

'What the hell was that?!' But for once, I didn't have answer to give.

~

I never was all that fond of the TV Room, you can only go into a mostly empty space completely coated in white so many times before your eyes start to burn, even with the glasses. But given the fact Mike was such a TV geek I suppose it's only natural he decided to turn the tour there. 'Maybe that's the candy he'd become, one of those rock hard cookies with picture on the white frosting front. Only he'd be a square one that looks just like a telly.' I smiled at the thought. That would be something wouldn't it? She only laughed in reply before we both fell silent to watch what would happen.

I suppose the most disappointing thing about Mike's corruption was how dull it was; Augustus went out in a slightly funny style, Violet brought a whole new meaning to the term bloated, and Veruca was disliked by my many furry playmates. Mike on the other hand shouted some, pushed some Oompa-Loompas aside, and activated the TV teleport with him inside in. Why do I have the sinking feeling we're gonna sit this one out? I asked Katie. 'Because we can't go into the tv and even if we could it would be way to much crazy even by our standards.' And that's why when that song started Katie didn't leap forth, simply leaned forward and seemed to barely slip past the border that was her mask and my face.

(Mike Teevee Song)

It wasn't until the song was finished when I realized Katie had made her move and now my arm was draped across Willy's shoulder, fingertips grazing the edge of his dark brown hair. I pulled back sharply, hardly daring to look him in the face at the risk of him seeing how red mine had become. When I finally did glance out the corner of my eye, I saw him smiling softly. Which after a short hesitation, I gently returned.