Chapter Twenty-Eight

Jewel walked out of Killian's hospital room, wiping her tears as she stalked towards Emma who was walking towards her parents, Ruby, and Leroy. They seemed to be holding an object and fighting over it. It looked to be a mobile phone. 

"What now?" Emma groaned rushing forward.

Jewel walked next to her, "Could be something to do with that guy,"

As they walked closer, they saw Mary Margret holding the phone and David reaching over from beside her to get it. 

"We've got to get into his phone" they heard him say, "let me guess another password."

"We can't guess, there are a million possible combinations." Mary protested, clearly frustrated.

"Ten thousand," Ruby cut in. 

"Ten thousand," Mary Margret repeated and Jewel chuckled, there's something about Mary that you can't help but not laugh about. 

"Leroy can get it open or something...hack it?" David suggested, holding the phone out towards Leroy. 

Leroy glared at him. "You understand that computer hacking and pickaxe hacking are different?"

At that point, Emma and Jewel reached them and Emma pushed her way in next to Ruby and her mother, leaving Jewel to stand next to Leroy. 

Emma reaches for the phone. "Here let me try, I have a thing," she grabs her phone and pulls out her keys, inserting something from them into the phone. "And we do know something, there was stuff in his car. Rental agreement, maps, receipts, his name is Greg Mendell." she presses a few buttons on the phone as they all watched, "now, let's see"

Emma looks through the phone. "Pictures of him alone with a bunch of Eastern tourist locations... not linked an account, and he tweets pictures of his food." Jewel groaned, she was hoping he would be someone interested. "I'll keep looking but I think what we have here is a well documented, real life, ordinary Joe...or Greg,"

"Great, whilst you do that, I have to find my mother. There are a few things I need to tell her" Jewel says and walks away from the group until she was out of sight. 

Meanwhile, at the hospital, the group were still discussing Greg and what to do with him. 

"So whatever's kept random people from stumbling into Storybrooke for the past 28 years,-" Ruby starts.

"-is gone," Mary finishes, equally worried. 

David folds his arms. "Anyone could drive in. Why are my instincts telling me that's a bad thing?"

"Because you've seen ET or Splash or any other movie where they find something magical and study it to death. Just think what they'll do to a werewolf." Leroy says and Ruby looks at him with wide eyes. 

"I ain't becoming no test subject!" she says

"Oh, and his friends and family they're gonna come looking for him soon," Mary tells them

"Let's try not to overreact," Emma says, trying to keep control of the situation and keep everyone calm even though she was panicking herself. 

David looks at his daughter. "Leroy's right, we don't need outsiders here."

"Hook says he doesn't know where Cora is...and God-knows-what she's gonna do, with other people coming here, that's not going to be good for anyone," Emma says, making them all even more worried. 

"We need to find Regina and tell her she was framed!" Mary says quickly and Emma sighs. 

"Jewel's gone to find her, but Jewel hasn't seen her all day," Emma glances to the door where Jewel had just left. 

"I've been tracking her, no luck, she's gone underground," Ruby tells them.

Mary was now close to having a full-blown panic attack. "But if Cora finds her first? Or finds Jewel first? I don't want to think about the damage those three will do together. This can not have come at a worse time!"

"It's okay," Emma reassures her, "the guy's being patched up right now, he'll probably be on his way home by morning"

Dr Whale walks around the corner holding a piece of paper, "not quite. He's bleeding into his chest cavity, it's not a full flood ya know, but pretty soon he'll be drowning in his own blood"

"So make it stop!" Emma hisses at him, "aren't you a doctor?"

Dr Whale sighs and shakes his head before seeing someone behind them and walking up to him. 

"Gold, you fixed me. Now, fix him. It will take you seconds and cost you nothing"

Everyone watched as Mr Gold seemed uninterested. They all knew he was on edge right now and wouldn't be in full control of what he was doing. 

"No," he says simply. 

"No?" Dr Whale repeats in disbelief whilst shaking his head. "Just...no"

Mr Gold faces him. "I owe you nothing, Whale. I owe none of you anything, and some of you owe me," he looks at Emma. "So yeah, just no. Oh and point of interest, the driver, he saw me throwing some magic, so instead of trying to get him out of here, you better be hoping he dies. Because if he doesn't, he's gonna be driving tour buses up and down Main Street. So glad, I don't give a damn"

'Well this complicates things," Emma thinks as Mr Gold walks away. 

END OF BOOK ONE!