The Man and his Brothers

Grimm Fairytales AU

Warnings: Abandonment, thoughts of suicide, successful suicide, violence, major character death, food mention, murder, graphic description of dead bodies, and blood

Ship(s): Platonic LAMP

Title: The Man and His Brothers

Once upon a time, there was a lonely, nameless, little boy who had been abandoned by his parents. He lived in the home of a cruel orphan keeper, forced to do housework and other grueling labor to keep food in his belly and a roof over his head. He watched as the other orphan children laughed and played in the school yard, dressed in fine clothes while he worked away in his dirty rags. Every day the boy would tell himself that his family would return and he would be happy again.

When the boy became a man the orphan keeper forced him out of the house to live on the streets. "No one wants to love a nameless boy!" the orphan keeper cackled as the man fell into the mud filled streets. He tossed a small coin purse and an apple for him to eat before slamming the door shut. The man wept.

"Alas, my family has not found me! I must go, and search for them myself!" So the man got to his feet, picked up the small purse and apple, and went on his way. He traveled through the dirt roads of his town until he reached the edge of the forest, which was rumored to be haunted by sprites and spirits of those who had passed. The nameless man looked into the woods with fear, but pressed forward, determined to find his family.

He journeyed on bravely even as night began to fall, clutching the two items in his bag with all his might as the wind whipped and moaned, pushing him back towards where he came. He happened upon a fork in the road, on going to the east and the other going to the west. The nameless man was tired, and hungry, and didn't know where he should be going, so he stopped to rest at the end of the western road and pulled out his apple to eat. An old woman bent over with age approached him, eyeing the apple hungrily.

"What is your name, child?" the old woman asked. The nameless man looked at her with confusion.

"I do not know. I was never given one. Is there something that you need, woman*?" he asked. The old woman smiled kindly and stretched out a wizened hand from beneath her robe, gnarled and thin, gesturing to the other's apple. The nameless man hesitated before placing his one source of nourishment in her hand and watched with sorrow as the old woman ate it happily, eyes shining with joy.

"Thank you, little one. How could I repay such a kind deed?" the old woman asked, squinting at the man. He looked up at her with a sad smile.

"Good woman, what I want is nothing I can be given. I desire to find my family that I have never loved, nor seen. 'twould take a miracle if I were to ever find them," the nameless man said with a wistful sigh. The old woman smiled and shed her robe, suddenly being bathed in a golden light. Away went her old and wizened face, replaced with one of luscious, young beauty. The nameless man looked to the new woman with astonishment.

"Young man, your kindness shall be rewarded. Your family is dead, all but one, your eldest brother. Take the eastern path and you shall find the man with the golden heart. He shall help you find your brother. But hurry, there is evil about that also wishes to take the gold-hearted man," the beauty said, bending down to kiss the forehead of the nameless man. She disappeared, leaving the young man stunned at the roadside. He sprang to his feet, a new valor in his step.

"I must find my brother!" the nameless man cried. And so, he departed on his journey down the eastern path. On his way down the winding dirt road, he came across a tavern merrily lit with laughter coming from within. Cold, hungry, tired, and with a few coins to spend, the nameless man stepped inside, intending to spend it on food and drink.