Split Second

Warning(s): Abandonment, crying, little kid tantrum, sympathetic Deceit

Ship(s): Father/Son Logince, implied Father/Son Patceit, developing romantic Loceit, and brief Platonic Roceit

Human!AU

It had only taken a split second. Logan had turned around to look at some bags of flour on the grocery shop shelf and when he turned back, his four-year-old son Roman was gone. Logan's breathing hitched and he whirled around in all directions, his heart pounding. God, he trusted himself to go shopping with his son one time and he'd already lost him! Logan quickly made his way to the front desk to ask to use their intercom, determined to find his son.

Meanwhile, Roman waddled towards the book section of the store, a certain determination in his tiny steps. Tomorrow was his papa's birthday, and he wanted to get him the best gift ever! Roman's eyes shone with excitement as he ran up to the shelves of books and magazines, looking for one that his papa would love. He placed his fists on his hips, his nose scrunched up in concentration as he read the book titles as his papa taught. He gasped when his eyes fell on an astronomy book and he got up on his tiptoes to reach it. Sticking his tongue out, Roman tried his best to reach the book, but it was of no use. His eyes began to water as he looked at the brightly colored cover, few fat tears rolling down his cheeks. Suddenly, a big, scary shadow loomed over him and someone reached to grab the book.

"No! Dats mine!" Roman shrieked, grabbing onto the arm and tugging at it. The stranger chuckled and ruffled his hair, handing him the book. Roman held it to his chest and glared up at the young man, who looked right back down at him with a crooked smile.

"My bad, kid. What're you doing here all by yourself? Where are your parents?" the man asked. When Roman squinted, he could see the name tag on his uniform read 'Damien Dee Ceitful'. Roman ignored the man's questions and giggled.

"Your name is funny!" Roman laughed, and the man rolled his eyes, sighing, smiling slightly, which caused the burn scar on the left side of his face to stretch slightly.

"Yeah, that's what happens when dad is an pre-school teacher and loves dad jokes and puns. Now seriously, where are your parents?" Damien asked again, starting to get worried about the young toddler in front of him. Roman smiled and started pointing to the canned food aisle when his eyes went big. Where was his papa? He'd been standing there a second ago! Tears welled up in Roman's eyes and his lip began to quiver. Damien started to panic a little and knelt down in front of Roman, beginning to comfort him, when Roman started to cry, bursting into a violent fit of tears.

"I WANT MY PAPA!!!" the young boy wailed, clutching the book to his chest and wailing at the top of his lungs. Damien wanted to hug the kid or something, but really didn't feel like getting sued, so he just held a hand out to him.

"Hey, kid, it's okay! Why don't I take you up to the front desk and we ask your papa to come get you?" Damien said, trying to keep his voice calm. Roman continued to sob and sniffle but took Damien's hand, allowing the employee to lead him to the intercom. Damien growled in irritation when he saw a tall, bespectacled man in formal attire already asking the woman at the intercom to make an announcement. He sighed and turned to Roman, only to have the toddler yank his hand away and run at the man. Damien sucked in a deep breath, but then sagged when the man's face lit of.

"Papa. papa, I t'ought you left me!" Roman sobbed, making grabby hands at the man who quickly scooped the young child up into his arms and peppered his face with kisses. Roman giggled and wrapped his arms around the man's neck, his tears still flowing freely.

"Leave you? Never! I've been looking all over for you!" the man said. He was relieved, but his tone was a bit stern. Roman sniffled and looked down, his eyes guilty and so heartbreaking Damien wanted to hug him again (curse his dad for turning him into a softie).

"'m sorry papa Logan, was gettin' you a present," Roman said shyly, showing his father the astronomy book that Damien had gotten for him off he shelf. "He helped me!" Roman said, pointing in Damien's direction. Damien gulped a the (very handsome) man turned to face him, a tiny smile on his face.

"Thank you for helping my son, I hope he wasn't too much trouble," he said sheepishly, pushing up his glasses before extending a hand. "Logan Sanders. You are?" Damien cleared his throat and took the hand, doing his best to smile.

"Damien Ceitful. And don't worry, you have a pretty great kid," Damien said. Logan raised an eyebrow and Roman hid his face in his father's shoulder shyly. Damien chuckled softly.

"Well Damien, thanks again. I hope we see each other sometime soon," Logan said with a nod, ending the firm handshake and heading to the check out with his son. Roman peeked over his papa's shoulder and giggled, waving at Damien.

"Bye bye! T'ank you!" he said happily. Damien smiled and waved back.