Chapter 4

Brandon Grange found Nick in unusually high spirits when he entered his house. 

“I feel that I am one step closer to finding out the truth!” he announced as he served Brandon a glass of whiskey. Fresh sensations overwhelmed Nick. He had touched onto the strange object. Now, he only had to further experiment it before he could feel the wonders of accomplishment.

“What truth?” Brandon asked his cousin, who was also his closest friend.

“Do you remember the book, “Legends and Tales of Our Time”?”

Brandon recalled the book and all its stories that Nick had an immense interest in. However, what struck a chord in Nick was a story regarding the tragic love story of the fourteenth king and the king's strange love interest in a human girl. Brandon thought Nick's obsession with that story was a result of his direct lineage connection to the king.

“I do remember, but what truth are you speaking about? Most of the stories in that book are fictitious,” Brandon answered.

“No, they are true and she could be living proof that the girl never died!” Nick said hurriedly. His eyes sparkled with a strange source of excitement. He spoke like a mad scientist, eager to experiment on a new specimen.

“Who is she?” Brandon was worried that Nick indeed had deteriorated to a terrible state.

“I am not sure if she is the correct person. But I do believe what is written is true! I believed that I must be mad but I have experimented and I know I am not! She is the same as what the legends describe her as, characteristically human yet she has the strangest capability to stun the king. I feel her soul. It is like no other being! Ah, your expression tells me that you are unconvinced! Brandon, when you see her, you shall believe me. But, not yet. I have questions unanswered, tests undone, theories to confirm!” Nick gushed. 

Brandon knew that story well. Nick did not have to explain it. Nick had shown him the same words multiple times, sometimes in triumph and sometimes in anger. He knew that all of Nick’s life, the story had influenced his belief of what exists in the world and what does not. The story provided him an avenue to dream of another reality, imagine a different world that he knew and imagine a different life he could live. With their intelligence, they would grow tired of their exisitng lives. Everyone gradually possessed the greed to enhance themselves, but the seed of greed had lived in Nick's heart for a long time. With the success of her approval, the tree of greed bloomed in his heart, which leapt with the expectation of greater success.

“Have you deceived yourself to believe she truly exists?” Brandon could not help but sigh.

“I am unsure, which is why I have signed a two month contract with her to ascertain her identity. I am going to decide based on evidence and fact,” Nick replied curtly, rather annoyed that his friend was still in disbelief. 

“But the assumption underlying this is that the story is true!” Brandon exclaimed, “How long will you deny who you are and what life sets out for you!”

“How long are you going to accept the way things are?” Nick rebutted angrily, “I have tried to live by that for a year and it kills my soul.”

“We have no soul,” Brandon put his glass down and left the house furiously. Did he not know that he was treading on a tight rope? Did he not know he was going to disappoint himself greatly and fall into the worst state of resignation and disillusionment? Did he not know that they had traded a lifetime of prosperity and luxury for this? Nick could not turn his fate and neither could any of them.