Volume 2, Chapter 17

Brandon thought that he was going mad. His hands turned bloody once in a while and he would wash them frantically but realise that the water was clear. Prince of Souleaters. He lived his life knowing that he could never be what Nick was. But now, when he was inching so close to that title, he grew afraid that someone would kill him. Stone figures of Nick haunted him all day. Had he played with Nick’s desire? No, he had not. It was Nick’s fault for wanting to become human when he could not be one. Yet, he could stop his death, like Stephen’s death. But he, himself, would die instead. He wondered which was better- to suffer a lifetime of mad, mad guilt or to die and turn to cold, cold stone. 

As a souleater, it was strange that he should feel so much fear in his heart. Did conscience exist in him as well? He could not bear to see Nick anymore. He had betrayed his friend over and over again. One year ago, he had driven the girl he loved away. While he stood over Ben Robbs’ dead body, he had told the girl that Nick’s father had killed him. While Nick believed that his father had killed Elizabeth Marcus, he had kept quiet about the fact that his father was the real culprit. These sins suddenly were listed in his head, and one by one, they came after him like hounds, like symptoms of a plague that he could not get rid of. 

Kaela came into his house and he tried to compose his shaking self. 

“You said that you were going to kill Stella. I want her dead now,” she demanded as she grabbed a glass of hard liquor and gulped it down angrily.

“Tomorrow,” he replied, his hand gripping the edge of the table.

“Nick was repeating her name as he fell asleep,” she said quietly after swallowing her drink.

His throat went dry and he struggled to answer her, “That’s because she exists.”

“Yes. That’s why I want her dead so desperately,” Kaela replied.

His mind was spinning from fear. He could not imagine Kaela’s response when Nick was dead. 

“Wait for it. Patience is key,” he muttered and told her he needed his privacy. She looked at him, feeling confused, before leaving quickly.

Patience, he told himself, patience before he could attain that position. But the thought that he was stealing it from Nick sent chills to his body. No, he was not stealing it. Nick did not deserve it. He was too kind and human to be prince. Brandon Grange, son of Deslunger blood, should be prince. Why should his taint of the Grange blood inhibit his position? His thoughts circled him, round and round, he came in and out of guilt. Back and forth as he walked, his justifications seemed more and more groundless. Everything around him turned to stone and he thought he saw faces of his friend appear from back, left, right, front, centre...and as he screamed, he froze his eyes.