Chapter 20

Stella’s father went out for dinner with his friends. She had not replied any messages from Nick Smith and sat at home alone, staring at her phone in silence. Her heart was in pain. She no longer felt anger from Nick’s betrayal and she wished to escape his terrible world- the world full of murder, filth and power that she had once been absorbed into. She loved Nick Smith because of his wealth and beauty. She loved him because she wanted to enter into his world. She loved him because he was exciting, mysterious and dangerous. The doorbell rang and she found Stephen standing outside the door. Holding the contract in her hands, she opened the door.

“Miss Robbs, Mr Smith has been trying to contact you. Are you unwell?” he asked.

“Yes, I am sick of him,” she replied angrily and she tore the contract in front of Stephen, who stood in shock. She continued, “I am sick of his lies. Tell him I wish to terminate the contract immediately.”

“You can’t do that without his permission,” Stephen said, biting his lips in annoyance at this crazy girl in front of him, “You have to come with me. He is in the car waiting. He wishes to speak to you.” Stephen pulled her and she struggled in vain to release herself. She was pulled into the Lamborghini at the opposite side of the road under a tree and Nick was sitting at the back seat.

“I wish to terminate the contract immediately,” she demanded.

“Is this all Brandon’s doing?” he asked, “Do not believe him!”

“He was right. I should leave you now even if it kills me!” she yelled, almost hysterical.

“I will never harm you,” Nick said calmly, “If you leave me now, I shall fall into great depths of misery.”

“You are a complete liar!” she was disgusted by his false show of sympathy.

“I understand that you think that I am a despicable liar. If I told you the truth at the beginning, you would not believe me either. You would think of me as a mad being. At the start, I was not sure if you were the person I was looking for. I am not sure if you are now, but... I feel myself changing. And I cannot let you go,” he said, with all sincerity in his voice. She did not reply so he continued, “I will give you time to think over my words. If you are leaving me because you think I may kill you, I can swear with my life that I will never harm you, not even a strand of your hair.”

She felt resolute to leave him but now, her heart had wavered upon seeing his despondent face. For the first time, his cold, stony heart had been moved by despair. He never felt sadness and had felt only anger in his life. He never felt happiness before but Stella had brought him true joy. If she left him now, he felt he should never feel happiness again and feel sadness and anger for the rest of his life.

She left the car with tears in her eyes and walked home with heavy steps. She thought that when she saw him, she would feel anger but now she left with sadness and pain in her heart. 

The door was ajar and she saw that the lights in her house were switched off. She had forgotten to close the door! She rushed in and switched on the lights. Her mind was blank with darkness and she felt herself going in and out of her surroundings. The world was whirling and she fell on her knees.

Her father lay on the floor with his eyes wide open. His heart had stopped for good.

A souleater had killed him. And she did not know who.

Author's Note: Hi! Please comment, star or share this story if you liked it! Thank you! P.S There is an epilogue!!