Volume 2, Chapter 4

Nick took a private jet to Paris. He did not want anyone to come but Stephen had insisted upon his coming. He was going to find out if Stella had really killed Bently Aswald, and if she did, he was going to stop her, before his father did. There were things that he knew his father had done, and he did not approve of them.

“Where did you say she was residing at?” he asked.

“At the residence of Mr Jackerson Rousseau,” Stephen answered. 

“A rich man who is in guardianship of Micheal Owell,” Nick said. Stephen nodded, “Yes, she has been going round with the name Stella Rousseau and has become popular in high society. She was in a brief relationship with Mr Aswald before he passed away. She was much adored by Mr Aswald, at least that is what people who were close to him had said.”

The car turned into a small road which eventually led to a large house with a swimming pool and roses of all colours decorated the side and front of the house. 

“Bonjour Monsieur. Mademoiselle Rousseau has been expecting you,” a neat French looking lady greeted him as he entered the house. Echoes could be heard when he stepped in. The ceiling was very high and the house was a typical European styled mansion. He was led into a dining room and was served tea and some macaroons. 

“Please make yourself comfortable. Mademoiselle will be here soon,” the lady smiled before departing the room. There was a huge painting hung on the wall and there was something creepy about the drawing. It was as if he had seen it before.

A beautiful girl dressed in a red and orange floral maxi dress came into the room. Her hair was curled and as she sauntered towards the seat across him, he felt there was a sense of affectation in the way she sat down and crossed her legs, placing her hands which had perfectly manicured nails on her knee. She had put on a thick layer of makeup and she smiled at him with her coal-rimmed eyes and thick mascara.

“I’m surprised that you were able to find me. It has been a long time since we have met, haven’t we?” Stella asked, while pouring  herself a cup of tea. 

“Yes, it has. How have you been doing?” Nick replied, “You have changed quite a fair bit.”

“People need change. The world changes all the time. If we were to stay constant, there wouldn’t be progress. You have changed too. You have become more handsome,” she replied and looked at him almost cruelly. 

“You have become prettier as well.” She hated him. He could tell from her eyes that she hated him to the core.

“Thank you for your compliment. I have many who have told me that. Micheal, for one, praises me for my good looks everyday.” She picked up a teaspoon and stirred her tea as she put some milk in it. “Is that the only thing you have came here for? To find out why my life seems so comfortable when it should have been in ruins?”

Micheal. He disliked that name. He had appeared out of nowhere and spoilt all his plans. “No, I wish to know if you know about the reason behind Mr Aswald’s death,” he answered.

She continued stirring the tea. “I have told the police everything. It seems like you have came here on the assumption that I am guilty of his death,” she replied coldly.

“You said you were going to take revenge. Is this your first step?” Nick asked while Stella remained utterly composed sipping her tea with her red lips. He had felt his throat tighten a few times and he grew increasingly uncomfortable. If there was one thing that had not changed, it was her scent and her ability to cause him to yearn to kill her.

“How do I take revenge on souleaters? I should be asking this question myself,” she laughed, “Nick Smith, the most intelligent man on earth, is asking me such a simple question. Have you grown more handsome but less clever?”

He gripped the chair, “What exactly is your plan?”

“You have grown impatient too. My plan is simple. An eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth,” she took a bite of the macaroon and licked her lip seductively. “Have you tried this? Oh I forgot, you don’t eat. You eat souls.” 

He felt his anger rise and he wanted to kill her that instant. She was not the Stella Robbs who he once knew. She was as mad as he was. 

She tormented him further, “I’m glad that you came to find me last year, because you taught me many things about life. Betrayal, death and revenge. I think you can’t kill me because I am soulless like you are. How do you like my dress? It’s from Valentino. Most of the time I wear Chanel or Hermes. Just a slight suggestion. Deslungers needs improvement. The clothes are absolutely dull. Have you became dull as well?”

 His eyes burned with rage and he stood up. He could imagine himself grab hold of her neck and strangle her in one grip. 

“If you wish to kill me, I should warn you that I may retaliate. You don’t want to end up like Mr Aswald,” she smiled before ringing the bell and the lady soon entered. “Mr Smith would like to take his leave. Please send him off.”

Nick stared at her with fiery eyes. He left the room angrily when suddenly, Micheal pulled him to a room and demanded to know why he was here. 

“I was here to find Stella,” Nick replied simply.

“She never wanted to see you again. If you dare harm her even an inch, I will kill you and all your stupid friends,” Micheal warned. He was a tall and lean guy with brown ruffled hair and big brown eyes. He looked like the sort of good guy that Stella liked. Nick rolled his eyes, “So you’re the guy who has a thing for Stella?”

Micheal stared at him hard and growled, “I’m giving you a chance to back off. You jolly well take my advice, haughty Mister Perfect.”

“She isn’t as simple as you think she is,” Nick grinned mockingly, “If you are going to be wrapped around her finger, that’s your choice.”

Micheal gripped Nick’s collar. He suddenly gave a similar evil grin and said, “Watch out. I wonder who will be wrapped around whose finger.” He then let go of Nick and walked away.

 Author's Note: Hope you are enjoying the story, it will get more exciting! Please leave a comment or a vote! Thank you(: