Chapter 15

Stella skipped towards the black Ferrari and entered.

“Hello Mr Smith,” she greeted him joyfully. Throughout the day in school, she had waited eagerly for the day to end.

“Hello Stella. I have been going through your mother’s drafts and your old photographs. I would like to ask you a few questions later,” he said. 

“I think my father knows better about what my mom was doing. He said she had interviewed your father,” Stella replied and taking out the pink dress and heels, she continued, “Thank you for lending me this. I’m not sure how to wash it. It looks too delicate to go into my washing machine.”

“Keep it. I know that. I saw it in one of her interview transcripts. I wanted to ask if anyone tampered with it,” he said carefully.

“It was in her computer. No one had access to it except my father and I,” she answered, perplexed. 

“Is your father free now? I would like to speak to him,” he asked. Stella realised that something was bothering him. She had been so distracted in looking at him, admiring his handsome face and his smart yet casual style of dressing. He was wearing a suede leather camel trench and a pastel patterned shirt matched with cotton pants. All his clothes looked expensive and even though she had tried to wear her favourite lavender skater dress, she looked plain next to him.

“He’s working,” she answered. Nick asked where he worked at and without saying anything more, he drove straight to her father’s office.

They reached the information counter and she was unsure of what he wanted to do.  He was always inscrutable and seemed to be in a constant state of cogitation. 

“Good afternoon. I would like to speak to Mr Vonder Jones,” he said and the lady at the counter looked like she was in a trance.

“You are?” she breathed.

“Mr Smith. Nick Smith. Is it possible that you could call him and tell him that I have an urgent matter to ask him about?” Nick asked, annoyed that people always took time to stare at his face rather than being more productive.

“He is in a meeting. I am afraid he would not be at his desk now,” she replied, pouting slightly with her red shimmering lips. Out of jealousy, Stella wanted to pull Nick away and tell the woman to stop flirting. 

“I thought I wanted to do this the proper way,” he murmured to himself.

“I understand. Thank you for your limited help, Miss Nicole,” he looked at the golden name tag on her and gave a wry smile. The woman looked mortified and Stella felt that she might cry if she was in her position.

“That was mean,” she told Nick off when they walked away. He ignored her and took out his phone, opened his contacts book under “Dad’s friends” and dialed for Mr Vonder Jones.

“Hi Uncle Jones. This is Nick. Yeah, Nick Smith. I’m fine, thank you. I tried to contact you through the information counter, some useless person called Nicole said you were in a meeting. Oh, you mean the meeting just ended? That’s good to hear. Yeah, I have a favour to ask you. I need to meet Mr Ben Robbs urgently. I think he is in the human resource department. So, you will tell his supervisor to release him now? Okay, tell him to meet me and his daughter at the lobby. Yeah, we’re friends. See you soon to catch up. Yeah, I think Dad’s going to organise a party sometime soon. Bye.”

Stella gaped during the entire conversation. “Who is Mr Jones?” she asked. “He owns this company,” Nick answered. Stella felt even worse for the Nicole woman. 

“That was mean. You should not have mentioned her name to her boss!” Stella said angrily, “And that was cheating. How could you ask for leave for my dad in that way. Everyone would think he was using connections to receive privileges.”