Volume 2, Chapter 5

It was obvious that Stella had killed Bently. She was with him in the same hotel room before she came out crying that he had suddenly fell dead before her. There were no cameras in the room because Bently had killed many girls in that same room. The police immediately ruled her out as the suspect because Bently had, indeed, fell dead and the Aswald family refused an autospy. It was only unclear how she killed him.

Nick did not like Micheal. He looked like a white knight in armour saving a damsel in distress and Nick scoffed at such ideas. He knew little about that guy, yet, he detested him immediately. “Find out the background of Micheal Owell,” he told Stephen.

“Yes Sir. I wish to inform you that the late Mr Aswald had a party planned tommorow night. It would be in your country and I found out that Ms Robbs had been invited to the party,” Stephen said, “You were invited too but you have not made any reply to the invitation.”

He wondered if he should go to the party. He was angry and he wanted to hang out somewhere. More importantly, he needed to stop her plan. Someone was going to die, and he did not know who.

The next night, Nick went to the party with Kaela. Kaela was ecstatic that Nick had finally returned to his party habits and she was more excited that it was going to be a masquerade party. She wore a pink feathered Venetian mask while Nick wore a black mask like in the Phantom of the Opera. 

“I’m so glad that the old you is back! Did you not know how worried I was for the past year? It was as if you had turned into a living ghost!” she told him.

“Are we all ghosts in living bodies?” he asked and finding himself becoming too gloomy again, he said, “Sorry Kae about everything. She ruined my life and-”

Kaela put her finger on his mouth and smiled, “I don’t wish to hear about her. I will never hate you. I love you with all my life and that will never change.”

“How’s everyone?” Nick asked, changing the topic.

“Everyone has been stricken by Bently’s death. I heard it wasn’t suicide. Yet, who would dare to kill him? He is an aristocrat like us,” Kaela replied and then, taking his arm, they danced.

It was a large ballroom and in front, there was a banner that read, “In loving memory of Bently Aswald”. There were white flowers hung around the ballroom as people danced and changed partners. It was difficult to recognise who was there  while Nick looked around. 

“At midnight, we are supposed to kiss,” Kaela put her arm around his neck and breathed.

“What if you are paired with a human?” Nick whispered back.

“I will make sure that no other girl snatches you away,” she put her nose near his neck. He smelt good and she loved every aspect of him.

“Maybe I would kiss someone and see what happens,” he joked and pulled Kaela closer to him.

“Hmm, what if you kill her,” Kaela murmured, “Your dad is going to have some trouble covering up for you.”

“Have you killed someone before?” Nick asked. Kaela was unsure why he was acting strange again. 

“No, we have Stex,” she answered, “And I have you.” She licked his jaw and was about to kiss him when he turned his head away. She could not see his eyes under the dim light but he was looking around.

The strange scent overwhelmed him. He took out a bottle of Stex and inhaled it quickly. The clock ticked. It was one minute to midnight.

“What’s wrong?” he heard Kaela ask but he was too distracted to reply. He took her arms away and pushed through the crowd towards the scent. It was closer and closer to him and his throat tightened by the second. He inhaled another Stex and moved faster. 

The minute hand hit twelve and the lights dimmed even further before the room became pitch dark. There were only a few candles lit at the banner. Everyone started kissing and a girl next to him grabbed him to place her lips on his. 

There was a thud and some people screamed in terror. Nick pushed the girl away from him as the lights slowly came back. She gasped to realise that she had accidentally kissed Nick Smith and apologised. Nick ignored her and pushed past the crowd, until he stood in front and saw someone lay on the ground, dead.

It was Caleb Lee. Another aristocrat was dead.