Chapter 5

The next day, she awoke to a text message from Stephen. Nick Smith had prepared for her the list of things he wanted her to do and he wanted to meet her in the afternoon. She was excited yet fearful of what could await her. Something endeared her to him. Was it his beauty? No one could escape from the lure of beauty, the lulling of a beautiful face, the lust of man's beauty! Beauty! A strange attraction that we cannot deny and the strange desire to possess it that we cannot avoid. His beauty had transfixed upon her that night and it unsettled her, more than the contract itself. 

After school, Stella entered the same Lamborghini. Stephen sat at the driver's seat and spoke nothing when she entered. She looked round the car. It smelt strongly of leather and there was a small television for the back passengers, along with leg seats and a portable table. Beside her in a small compartment was a blanket and a bottle of mineral water. 

“Did you prepare all of this?” She was amazed. "Thanks for fetching me to the restaurant. How was your day?"

Stephen found the girl very talkative, as compared to Mr. Smith. He was not used to such speech, that was so casual and random. He felt her questions did not need any answer and had no importance to them.

“Yes. Mr. Smith instructed that you are kept comfortable,” Stephen replied, with an air of dismissal in his tone.

“You are not much older than him, why do you call him Mr. Smith? Is he your superior?” Stella opened the bottle to drink as she asked, smiling like a child who was satisfied at everything given to her.

“He is my master,” Stephen replied without thinking.

“Oh, you mean he pays you a lot? I guess we are in the same boat then. I can call you Stephen, right?” Stella was confused as to why he and Mr. Jillian seemed so afraid of Nick Smith and treated him with so much respect, even though he was much younger than them.  

“Yes, you can call me Stephen. But don’t call Mr. Smith by his first name. It is disrespectful. And no, we are not of the same kind. Do not associate me with your kind.” Stephen tried hard to hide his displeasure. He did not like this girl very much yet he knew Mr. Smith had a certain liking for the girl for some reason. He was curious to know that reason and why he had said before that she “stuns him and scares him”.

He found nothing scary or unusual about the girl. She behaved like any normal girl who was surprised at Mr Smith’s beauty and his power and wealth. She was nosey like any other human and asked many questions. 

“I don’t know what is your kind but I suppose you are from some aristocratic background like Nick, I mean, Mr. Smith.” Stella did not understand why Stephen was as weird as Nick Smith. They were not likable people. 

“No, Mr. Smith is many levels above me. It is rude to compare anyone with him.” Stephen was clearly unhappy.

“I know, he is a descendent of the past king of this country. Of course, the monarchy is gone but I am surprised there are still many who serve the descendants," she answered, clueless that this statement would prick Stephen's patience.

“There are many who support the monarchy. I have no right to punish you for such blasphemy but Mr. Smith will not tolerate such talk. He is still the heir of the wealthiest family in the world, even if you do not believe in the monarchy.”

Stella was glad that they reached the restaurant soon because speaking to Stephen was excruciating. The level of respect for Nick Smith was incomprehensible. Nick Smith was rich, powerful and of royal blood, but those did not mean anything else to Stella, who was a silly and unknowledgable girl. 

She was escorted into a private room at the top of the building. Nick Smith was seated, drinking a glass of wine while looking at some documents. He put down the glass and pulled out the seat for Stella to sit in his natural gentlemanly manner, that caused the inexperienced girl to blush unconditionally at such a gesture. The view from the room was spectacular. She could view the entire city skyline and see the sea from afar. On the table was a plate of fish with different coloured purees, topped with a mix of nuts and cranberries and at the side was some fresh vegetables. Her eyelashes fluttered in pure amazement.