Chapter 9

Stella walked to the park after school and saw the black Ferrari that Megan had spoken about. Nick Smith was dressed in a crisp cut dark blue jacket, a white shirt and dark coloured pants. As usual, he wore a pair of sunglasses, although he never wore the same design. Stella began noticing that he also had a specific cologne that he put on and it was a very sensual smell. She did not know how to describe scents but he was very nice smelling and very well-groomed. 

“Hello Mr. Smith,” she stuttered upon opening the back door but he replied, “Take the front seat, please.”

She sat in front nervously. The car suited its owner well in terms of being debonair and urbane. She was wearing a loose fitted flower blouse and denim shorts, and carrying a purple backpack, feeling terribly out of place in his car and shifting in her seat constantly.

“I booked the National Museum for us to visit for the entire day. Are you almost done with your readings?” he turned his head and asked.

Sitting so close to him, Stella’s heart started beating fast. Like any other girl, she must have been charmed by him almost immediately. She was sure she did not love him, but she could not dislike him and not be infatuated with him. What a deadly and dangerous thing it was to like someone like him! No one warned her. One could not blame the poor girl who stole glances of admiration at this wonderful person before her.

“Not yet, I am on my second book,” she choked. 

Nick Smith turned his head back to the front and started driving with one hand, his elbow leaned against the door. They were silent during the car ride and Stella felt unnerved by the lack of conversation, or perhaps, Nick Smith’s lack of interest in her. She wondered wildly whether her inability to answer during the previous meeting had made him upset. It was like a sin to disappoint him and like a triumph to delight him.

When they reached the museum, a lady wearing high heel shoes and dressed in black and white greeted them. 

“Good afternoon Mr. Smith and Madam. I am the director of the museum. My name is Joyce Harrows. It is a pleasure to meet you. Would you like me to take you around? The artworks that you are looking for are all here except for two of them which I am afraid has been sent to another museum as part of an art show,” she smiled widely and Stella found her way of speech elegant and her dressing was very smart.

“Good afternoon Miss Harrows. Sorry to let you know that I would be refusing your service. I am familiar with where there are located at. You have informed me that they remain at the same area as on 14th May 2010?” Nick asked and took off his sunglasses, putting them in his coat pocket. 

Joyce Harrows, Stella noticed, seemed to look dazzled for a moment before she professionally regained her composure and answered confidently, “Yes, I have checked that for you, sir. Here is the map of the museum and we have also provided you with the 2014 commemorative guide to the various artworks.”

Nick seemed pressed for time and answered rather curtly, “I would not require any of those. We shall make our way now, thank you.”

Nick passed Stella a thick set of documents and said, “Here is a summary of the various interpretations and contexts behind the artworks. Based on this understanding, I also would like you to provide your own interpretations as well.”

It was a hundred pages long, words font size twelve, and Stella thought her brain flipped backwards upon being presented with another daunting task. Was he also testing her on her artistic knowledge? She knew nothing about art. 

“Am I supposed to read this before we reach each art piece?” She could not control her shock but felt ashamed of her show of her inability the next moment.