Chapter 12

When Stella arrived at school, Megan and her friends asked where she bought her clothes from. It was a baby pink silk dress with soft frills from Deslungers. Along with the dress, Nick had also provided her with matching short pink heels with silk ribbons. 

It was as if the dress and shoes had transformed her. She saw other girls looking at her from afar and was uneasy about the attention a singular dress could attract.

“I can’t wait. The new guy is coming in today!” Felicia gushed as they took their seats in class. Once they were all seated, the teacher entered along with a tall and lean guy, dressed in a leather biker jacket, a white tee shirt and a pair of tight jeans. Megan and her friends started gaping at him and smiling widely in excitement. 

“Hi, my name is Michael Owell. I was homeschooled and I came from Lienne (another city). Hope I have a great time here,” he introduced himself. Everyone clapped and the teacher told him he could take a seat anywhere comfortable. 

As he walked towards the direction of Stella and her friends, they grew increasingly thrilled. Then, he took a seat next to Stella, to her surprise. “It’s alright that I sit here, right?” he smiled at her.

“Yeah, feel welcome,” she replied nervously. There was something strange in his eyes when he looked at her. It was as if he had known her and yet she did not see him before.

“What’s your name?” he asked suddenly.

“Stella Robbs,” she replied, rather annoyed that he was talking during the lesson.

“I assume you’re popular among guys in this school,” he said and Stella glared at him. 

“That’s a lousy pick up line,” she replied briskly.

“How about... You’re the prettiest girl I have ever seen?” he quipped and Stella ignored him. 

It was lunch time and he asked if he could join Stella and her friends for lunch. Her friends, of course, were elated that a “hot guy” was going to have lunch with them. During lunch, they spoke of the usual stuff, like how was his hometown like, did he have siblings, which university was he going to, what did he like to do et cetera. 

Micheal was very forthcoming with their questions, and told them he was an orphan after both his parents died from a heart attack. His guardian was a rich man who was living in France. Stella felt pity for him because she knew what was like losing one’s parents, and no longer thought badly of him. 

“Anyway, Megan, I'm on internship with Smiths Corporation now, and I managed to get an autograph from Nick Smith,” Stella beamed, taking out the piece of paper from her backpack.

Megan took the paper eagerly and squealed so loudly in the cafeteria that some people turned to look at her. “Oh my god. Is this for real? It even has a smiley face!” she said loudly in happiness. Her friends gathered around Megan to scrutinise the piece of paper, although it was a very plain piece of paper. 

“How do you know that guy?” Micheal suddenly asked in a rather low tone. “Erm, long story, but basically, I have a contract at Smiths,” she lied.

“Oh I see,” he turned cold and bit on his straw. She wondered why he looked like he had a grudge against Nick Smith.

School finally ended and Stella thought the lack of sleep and drama in the morning was making her faint soon. She was sitting at the bus stop when Micheal came over and said gravely, “You’re friends with Nick Smith.”

She jumped slightly. “No, he is a celebrity. Everyone knows him,” she denied in anger. 

“Do you know what he wants from you?” he sat down next to her and she inched away.