The Lake

"I hope I'll be able to fine it."

Mono was picking up sticks along the way. He found one sticking out of the ground and tried to pick it up.

"It's really in there." He tugged on the stick and pulled it out revealing it to be a big root.

"It's still connected to the tree." Mono thought. His face became pale, but he shook it off. He crouched down and dug into the ground. "I better put this back." He was reminded of how much he had changed after he turned .

There was that time in gym class when they had to run fifteen laps across the gym. Mono would normally be tired like the rest of his classmates once they were done, but he still had the energy to keep going. Then there was the time he got all the questions on a test right when he was sure he didn't know any of the answers. He thought he was in good form or was merely lucky, but it didn't take long for him to realize he was wrong. Mono was going home one day when he got ambushed by a group of high school students. It was at that moment he felt a pain in his chest and before he knew it the high school students were face down at his feet.

Mono was pulled back to the present when he spotted a faint silver glow that disappeared the moment he blinked.

"Is that..." Mono went in the direction it came from. He ran passed a big oak tree where a vast lake captured the reflection of the night sky.

"It's the same as my dream." He walked along the edge of the lake but did not see any kind of bright light.

"This place is really pretty, but it doesn't look like anyone has been here."

"It's too bad I don't remember being here." Mono sat down an inch away from the lake. "People come to the park every day, but no one other than my dad and me know about this lake. No matter how I look at it this place is strange... just like me..."

Mono stared into the water. He saw a young boy with chestnut colored skin, dark wavy hair, and behind his thin glasses where eyes the same shade as the grass he sat on. "In my dream... why did I see Mom's face instead of mine?" It was at that moment he saw something other than his face being reflected in the water. It did not look like a fish or anything that should be in a lake or the sky. Mono squinted his eyes, trying to make out what the object was. "It looks like..."

"Hey! You shouldn't do that!"

Mono quickly turned away from the lake to the unknown voice behind him. They appeared to be a young girl, but he couldn't see her face because she wore a short white hooded cloak, with what looked like cat ears attached to her head. Her hood was covering half of her face. She was also wearing black ripped jeans and opened toed sandals.

Mono stared at her not knowing what to say. He had never seen someone dressed in that way. He didn't know whether to be surprised or amazed.

"If you get that close to the lake, you could fall in," She said. In his moment of dazed a pair of honey colored eyes stared back at him.

"Th-Thank you for the warning," Mono said as he quickly got up. "But you don't have to worry about me. I learned how to swim so it won't happen again"

"Really? But your clothes don't look wet," She said walking around him, looking him up and down.

"That's not what I meant," Mono smiled awkwardly. "When I was little I fell into the lake once, at least that's what my Dad told me. I don't remember much about it."

"I get it. But your story kind of reminds me of something. "... Wait, that means..."

"What? What is it?" Mono asked.