New Mail

"Well I did not expect this..." Doctor Greene muttered to herself as she examined my arm. The cast was still on, but it was only on the wrist so she was just checking around the cast to make sure the swelling didn't start again.
I felt my breath start to quicken as I nervously tapped on the paper lining I sat on in the doctors office.
"W-what? Is something wrong? Is it worse...?" I rambled nervously. I did not want this thing on any long then it had to be.
She took a few moments to answer then she stood upright and smiled. "Well, there's good news and bad news." she said taking a pen from behind her ear and writing something down. "The bad news is that the area looks inflamed and it's starting to swell again slightly." She said looking at me with stern but soft eyes. I felt like I was being interrogated by my grandma. "The good news though is that that can easily be fixed and you won't have this on any longer then what it was before. BUT you need to stop playing volleyball with this arm or whatever the heck you're doing. You need to stay calm." She said sternly.
Grandma coughed "discreetly", and I looked at her. She rose her eyebrows and nodded once, meaning she wants me to tell her everything. I sighed, "Well, I guess I haven't been as careful as I should be." I said quietly, embarrassed.
Dr. Greene sighed, "Okay, but you need to take it easier. I've already found you a doctor at St. John Inn, near where you're staying, that's going to take that cast off, but if you want them off, then you have to be healed."
"No crying grandma." I said smiling and rolling my eyes. I didn't like seeing her cry because then her vibrant, bright blue eyes glowed but with sadness and pain. I've only ever seen her cry happy tears once, and I feel uncomfortable to be honest.
"Youre gonna okay hon." she said emotionally as she hugged me.
      "Grandmaaaa it's just a wrist fracture." I laughed. She always got emotional if I was hurt. I patted her back awkwardly and stuck my tongue at Dr. Greene who looked pretty amused, and I smiled.

*********

"So what'd you guys wanna see?" Rianna asked, snatching the popcorn from Alysa and jumping.
I laughed and shrugged, "Whatever you guys want, I don't care." I said sipping my Icee. We decided to go to the movies and chill and Alysa and Rianna kept fighting over the popcorn and we haven't even gotten into the fucking theater yet.
Rianna was rubbing it in Alysas face, shoving a handful into her mouth. "Wowww." Alysa said with her arms crossed and her eyebrows raised.
"Lets see 47 Meters Down." Sophia said with a smirk. Alysa looked at her in horror and we all turned to her grinning. Some of our group was busy so it was just me, Alysa, Rianna, Sophia, Tyler, and Caleb.
We all agreed and Alysa reluctantly agreed. We got our tickets and walked into the cinema.
"It wont be that bad." I said smiling as I walked next to Alysa. "Itll be just like The Shallows."
"The Shallows was terrifying!"
I shrugged with smile and threw my arm over her shoulder as she pouted. Sophia and Caleb were arguing about god knows what to our right and Rianna and Tyler were walking hand in hand.
We walked into the theater and took our seats. I sat next to Alysa with Caleb on her other side and Sophia on my other side. Rianna and Tyler sat a few rows in back of us because they wanted to be alone...
Um, ANYWAY, we talked for a while and threw popcorn at Ryler every once in a while and since the movie had been in for a while, we were the only people in the theater. When the movie started it was chill for a while and soon, shit got real and Alysa practically tore my arm off and jumped on Caleb. We heard Rianna scream and jump on Tyler several times, but they both seemed to enjoy it to be honest.
When the movie was over, we exited the theater, Alysa looking thoroughly scarred.
"I. HATE. YOU." She said slowly, clinging to her body. Sophia ran up behind her and scared the hell out of her, earning Sophia a slap to the face.
Alysa said me, Rianna, and Sophia could spend the night at her place, so we said bye to the guys and went back to Alysa's. We got to her house and settled out on the couch to just watch another movie.
"How about Annabelle?" Rianna joked, wiggling her eyebrows.
She knew me and Alysa hated that movie. "NO!" we shouted in unison, glaring at her.
"Mkay, Batman it is then." Rianna said putting the movie on from Netflix.
We watched movies and laughed and talked for the rest of the night until we fell asleep, dreaming about the 12 hour flight to paradise that awaited us the next day.

******

We woke up the next day to mom and dad cooking waffles and smoothies for breakfast. After we had some breakfast, mum asked me to get the mail. I got the mail and shuffled through the stack of letters and gasped, nearly dropping everything. I quickly ran inside the house, letters in hand.
"Alysa! Mum, Dad! College letters from all of them!" I shouted with joy through the house. Within seconds, everyone was gathered in the living room trying to grab for the letters I had handed to Alysa. She looked at them with a mixture of fear, excitement, and hesitation. She was about to reach for the seal.
"WAIT!" I shouted suddenly, holding my arms out. Everyone looked at me, "I bet we all got our letters...call everyone! Tell them not to open them!"
No one even questioned it since it must have been obvious. I scrambled looking for my phone, saw it and dove for it, dialing Caleb, Nathan, and the other boys on a chain call. They agreed and said they would be on their way soon. Then I said I'd be right back, jumped in my truck, and drove to the post office. I found letters from all my colleges and held them in shaking hands.