Hiking

Over the next few days we did everything from going to the beach, shopping, to even zip lining. We did everything we possibly could. All the way up until it was our second to last day there.
"Come on guys i know it's a bummer but do we really wanna waste our last day being sad?" Alysa said, sitting down on the chair half sitting on Riley's lap as he put his arm around her waist. After they kissed they kinda became a little item. Even though they basically only had a day left, they were just having fun. Making out, doing stuff, being couple-y.
I sighed. "Yeah she's right guys. Come on our last day to do something because we just have to pack tomorrow. What should we do?" I said standing up and holding my arms out.
"I actually was talking to one of the nice local ladies here when we were at that little street vendor thingy. She told me there's this amazing hike we should try. Not very well known. Very secluded, and gorgeous." Rianna said her eyes lighting up.
I immediately grinned and I felt excitement and adrenaline coursing through me suddenly. I absolutely LOVED hikes. "YES! I am so down!"
I looked at Joe and he turned his nose up, so I kicked his legs off the table and he whined.
"Ok everyone off your booties. Get your clothes on and meet in the living room in 15!" Alysa said excitedly jumping up and walking quickly to our room.
"Yes SIR." Nathan muttered sarcastically, but Alysa heard him and chucked a football at him.
"Ok ok children." I laughed, pushing her in the room before this would break into a big fight and we'd only be leaving 4 hours later.
I put on my most worn shoes, a white dri-fit tank, and my black and white Adidas shorts. Alysa and I then walked out to meet everyone in the living room. Soon we were all ready, hopped in the car, and set off towards wherever the hell this place was. I was driving in front with Rianna in the passenger seat, Tyler behind me, Joe in the middle, and Nathan behind Riannas seat. Sophia, Alysa, and Riley road together in the other car.
"We're lost aren't we." Nathan kept saying from the back in that condescending voice.
"WE'RE NOT LOST!" I barked back.
"Sounds like something someone would say if we were lost."
"I swear do you WANT to walk there?"
"I'd probably get there first if I did-"
"NATHAN."
"Dude I'd be quiet she might run you over she has a temper." Jo muttered sarcastically. "You know what keep going I think I'd like to see that."
Nathan rolled his eyes and I stared him down in my rear mirror.
"Hey Ash?" He said.
"What." I really wished there were ejection seats inside cars.
"Are we lost?"
"I SWEAR-"
"Turn here!" Rianna yelled suddenly. I turned quickly and we pulled into a long dirt road that was just surrounded by brush and trees. The road started scaling uphill, so thank goodness we had Jeeps.
We weren't driving uphill much longer when a little turnoff came. It was just a large patch of mud and dirt where I assumed people parked. The woman was right. This was a very secluded hike.
  We parked our cars and hopped out, taking in the scene around. There wasn't really anything to see at that point because there were just trees and forest surrounding us, curved slightly so the area was completely blocked by forest.
  We grabbed our packs and put on our shoes, sunscreen, and bug spray before setting off on foot, just following the only eroded path.
  It kind of reminded me of the Haiku stairs back home. It was a breathtaking hike, but unfortunately, with all of the tourists taking advantage of it and then getting hurt, it's become a big liability, so it's an illegal trail now. That doesn't really stop locals from going on it though.
  Anyway, it kind of reminded me of that, because the trail kept scaling up, except the trees were still hanging over the path, enveloping us in the cool shade.
We talked the whole way up, almost in hushed voices, as if we were afraid to wake the forest. After about ten minutes of scaling up, I called up to Rianna, who was in front of me.
"Rianna did this nice strange woman tell you anything else about this trail?" I asked.
"No she just said it's nice and secluded." She replied, and I blinked.
"So...so you just...took strange directions...from a strange woman...into a strange forest...that you've now brought us all too..." I said, slightly dumbfounded.
"Yup! Ooo look a clearing!" She said, doing a weird gallop ahead. I sighed and shook my head. Guess we're continuing on.
I jogged a little to catch up along with everyone else and reach the top of the mini hill to see a beautiful clearing where the trees opened up, and there was just lush green forest down in the valley around us. My lips parted in awe and I began snapping pictures of the beauty and of my friends at the center of it all.
  We continued on, continuing to escalate the mountain, just thin trail of dirt beneath our feet.
  We continued for another hour, just following the trail, which was a straight shot to the top, when we finally got there and gazed upon the magnificent view and the miles of greenery over a hundred feet below us. After taking some pictures and admiring the view we sat down in our place, and decided to eat lunch real quick before we descaled the mountain in the other direction instead, where there was supposedly a waterfall.
  "Man I could really use a waterfall. I feel like my-" Joe said before Sophia smacked him.
  "No one wants to know about anything on your body Joe." She said, laughing a little.
  I laughed with everyone before we fell into silence again and I sighed. The atmosphere was weird. It felt like we were trying to have fun, but it was just kind of hard, given that we're leaving tomorrow. Of course we were still having fun, it just felt a little bittersweet.
  "Hey let's get to that waterfall." Nathan said standing up, for once being the one trying to add a little pep in the group.
"Nathaniel Shinagawa being optimistic? Rianna what did you put in his sandwich?" I said sarcastically as he pushed my shoulder and rolled his eyes.
"Prozac." She deadpanned before starting to walk and Alysa spit her water out.
"Don't make me push all of you off this mountain..." he mumbled sourly, walking next to me as we all set off towards the waterfall.
"Nathaniel that's not very nice. Don't make me put Anthrax in your food next time. HEY LOOK A STICK!" Rianna said casually, before getting distracted as usual.
"Ok did no one here that? That's a straight up threat-" Nathan said looking at me with his eyebrows raised.
"Don't get your panties in a twist mate. She doesn't even know how to use a toaster without setting it on fire, she can't get poison." Tyler said, patting his shoulder before walking ahead to contain his girlfriend.
"HEY THAT WAS ONE TIME!" Rianna pouted.
"By the way, you guys know my name isn't short for Nathaniel right-"
"No one cares. LOOK WATER." Sophia said skipping ahead, dragging Alysa along with her. I laughed and looked at Nathan's offended face as he turned to me, his mouth gaping open. I laughed and nudged his shoulder. He just rolled his eyes and fought his signature smirk as he looked forward at everyone running like idiots.
We got to the waters edge and we all quickly peeled off our hiking clothes that were drenched in sweat and mud at that point, so I was glad to have them off. I jumped into the cold water without testing it and emerged, slicking my hair back and taking in the view around. Just my friends laughing...joking... smiling...wrestling in the water...just being idiots. I didn't even rush to grab my camera like my normal instinct would be. I allowed myself to take it in with my own two eyes, feeling warmth and joy spread through my chest, ignoring the distant ache. I'd deal with that ache later.
For now I wanted to enjoy today. My last adventure..at least for now...with my favorite morons who I loved so much.
We laughed, played, jumped from the waterfall, and just enjoyed each other's presence until the sun began to set, fully satisfied with our last day here.

****
Message: Hiii!  So sorry updating takes so long. School has been on top of me but I'm trying! :)
There will be one more chapter after this...MAYBE two if I can't get it all in one. And then that will be the end of this story.
However I am considering continuing the story into college...so if there's any feedback anyone has I'm open! :)
Love, -Ash <3