Wolves

People always ask me why I love wolves so much. Most people like wolves because their "cool" or "badass".
I saw to a whole other reason why I am so infatuated with the creature.
They aren't even creatures to me. Nor are they people.
They are souls.
I feel like when I look into the eyes of a wolf, he can see me back. Bore into my soul. See my secrets. Understand my pain.
Wolves have a certain intelligence that I have never seen in another animal. A wisdom that doesn't come from owls or dolphins.
Did you know that when a male wolf is being attacked by another wolf, the wolf being attacked typically has a female partner. The female will cover the males neck with her own head, seemingly making it appear she's hiding. But she's protecting her companion. Protecting his neck from being slashed by the other male.
Wolves are fearless with a regard for their pack. A force to be reckon with. They are wild. Untamable. Unbreakable.
They are also misunderstood, with their sharp teeth and carnivorous diet, they are judged as this nefarious animal. Rabid and dangerous.
I don't think any of that is true. Look in to the eyes of a wolf and tell me that. Tell me you don't see the beauty. Wisdom. Calm. Storm. Wild. Bravery. Hope. Every emotion enveloped within these two big eyes, connected to a heart.

"Perfect." Rianna says with a grin. She gazed down at her work that we drew with sunscreen on a small part of Tyler's upper back. It read, "slap if you'd hit it" with an arrow pointing down. It was stupid I don't know why we were so proud of it.
"Ok I'm done." I said, chuckling. I laid back down, put my hat over my face, and drifted into a warm sleep.

"Wake up you fried chicken." I woke up to Sophia rousing me by the shoulder. I felt hot and I took my hat off my face and sat up.
"OH MY GOD." I shrieked, covering my eyes. The sudden brightness of the sun after being asleep so long was blinding. "HELL FIRE."
"I know. Rianna ran into the ocean." Sophia said like it was the most normal thing in the world. She gestured over her shoulder toward the water and I followed her gesture.
There was Rianna, thrashing almost slow motion in the water and screaming like a pterodactyl.
I shrugged and I looked down at my hip bone, examining my sun tattoo. My skin was a bit irritated from being in the sun so long. I ran my fingers over the smooth skin over my tattoo and smiled, happy with the results.
The wolf was in action, like it was running or jumping. It looked like a dancing flame. Beautiful.
        I snapped out of my daze. "How long was I in the sun?" I asked, shielding my eyes from the sun.
        Sophia shrugged. "Almost 45 minutes. You fell asleep. A lot of the girls fell asleep too though."
        "Ok then." I stood up and dusted the sand off my legs and back.
        "How did yours come out?" I asked, gesturing to her hip bone.
"Pretty good. My tan is going to look frickin amazing by the end of this trip." Sophia said with a smirk and an eyebrow raised.
"Are you girls done sleeping up there? Your missing Caleb's wipe outs." Nathan shouted up to the shore, laughing.
"SHUT UP SHINAGAWA." Sophia bellowed back, emphasizing every word. So I'm guessing she was still mad about him teasing her about Jo. But she did start walking toward the boys in the ocean. I tripped over something at my feet and fell forward on my face.
"By the way Alysas sleeping in front of you." Sophia said over her shoulder, continuing to walk down the shore.
I glared at her back and looked down at Alysas body. I wonder how she didn't wake up when I fell on her.
I tilted my head to the side in observation. "Alysa." I whispered, poking her shoulder. "Alysa." I said a little louder.
"ALYSA WAKE UP YOU BITCH." Rianna shouted from absolutely no where behind me.
"WHAT?" Alysa freaked, jumping out of her peaceful state as Rianna laughed.
"Dude really." I deadpanned.
"Yes." And with that she jogged down the water.
"Ok let's go then I guess." I said shrugging and standing up.
"Up! Uppie." Alysas whined like a child. I laughed and held my hands out to her and pulled her to her feet.
       We laughed and jogged toward the water.
       "I love my tattoo!" Alysa sang as we ran alongside each other.
       I just giggled as my toes connected with the water. I stumbled as a small wave crashed at my feet. I grabbed Alysa around the shoulders and laughed as I pulled her down under the surf with me.
         "ROUND TWO ON CHICKEN FIGHTS?" Rianna screamed, grinning like a maniac and holding her arms out.
       "YES!" I yelled. I pulled Caleb over and jumped on his shoulders. Tyler boosted Rianna on his shoulders and we began our battle.
       Rianna immediately decided to just shove me in the chest and I fell backwards.
       I fell in the water and emerged quickly, sputtering water.
       "OW!" I shouted up at Rianna. I gritted my teeth as she laughed like a hyena, and I tripped Tyler's foot with mine and they both went falling and everyone teared up with laughter.
       "OK I WANT IN." Sophia interjected. She forced Nathan to let her climb on his shoulders while he moped and whined. 
      Alysa jogged forward excitedly and awkwardly implied that she wanted a boost from Caleb onto his back. I squinted at her, confused. Why would she all of a sudden be awkward around him, I don't know. He kneeled down and she jumped up clumsily, both of them laughing.
"That's weird..." I whispered to myself.
"Yeah it is." Someone whispered back. I jumped and whipped my head to the right. Noah smiled apologetically, his eyes twinkling with innocence. His body tensed like I was about to hit him.
"Ugh jeez, when did you even get there?" I said turning back to the game and rolling my eyes.
"Just a minute ago, scaredy cat." He said chuckling. I tensed at the nickname.
"Don't call me that." I warned, glancing in his direction.
He opened his mouth to reply when someone interrupted us.
"Uh hey, what's going on?" Nathan interjected our of nowhere.