Memories

Jubilee POV

"Hey give that back!" Six year old me yelled at the little boy who had just stolen my crayon. "It's mine! Give it back! I need grey to finish coloring my elephant!"
"Finders keepers!" The little boy yelled back sticking his tongue out at me. I look at him in disgust for a moment, partially for stealing my things and partially because of how he looked. I mean what other six year old has grey hair? He didn't like my staring apparently and shoved me backwards.
"Hey! What was that for?!"
"Don't look at me like that!"
"Then tell me why you need the crayon?! Need to finish a self portrait?!" I wouldn't find out until much later how much that had really hurt him.

——————————————————————————————————————————

"Hey brace face!" Two boys shouted to me. They were eighth graders, and I was absolutely terrified of them. I mean what ten year old nerd wouldn't be? "Why don't you crawl back home-oh wait you don't have one!"
"You don't belong here mall rat!" Another one of them yelled at me. I started crying, but the boys ran away when a teacher came over.
"Are you alright dear?" She had asked me, and I shook my head.
"Why don't I have a family?" I asked before running off, and right into Peter.
"Hey watch it!" He had shouted at me.
"Why are you so mean?!"
"Well I'm sorry! It's my fault you ran into me right?!"
"At least you have a family!" His face twisted into a mean snarl.
"Well maybe I wish I didn't!" That was the first time I ever thought about someone else's situation, but I couldn't stop thinking about his after that.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I felt a large gust of wind followed by a loud crash. Twelve year old me's hands ignited, ready for any oncoming attack. However all I could hear was whimpering. "HELP ME!" A voice screamed, and I immediately recognized it as Peter. We weren't friends, but I had slowly been accepting him into my life. I small wave, smile on particularly good days, we worked together on many group projects since we were both outcasts.
"Peter? Are you okay? Where are you?" How ever the only response I got was whimpering. I followed the noise until I found him slumped against an alley wall. His legs were twisted in weird directions, and he was covered in scars. "How did this happen Peter?"
"I-I don't k-know! I was f-fighting with my mom, I started running b-but things just sort of became a blur!" There was blood dripping from his head, and his chin was badly cut as well.
"Where did you get the cuts from?" I ask running over to him.
"T-the wall."
"Don't lie to me Peter." I say sternly.
"S-she hit me."
"Who hit you Peter?" I wonder with curiosity trying to figure out to help him.
"M-my mom."
"Was she trying to hit you?" I say, wondering who could ever hurt him.
"N-no, she a-almost hit Wanda. I-I got in the way."
"Who's Wanda?" I ask gently, trying to be soothing.
"My little sister."
"How old?" I asked trying to distract him as I pulled him upright.
"Sev-OW!" He screamed as soon as he was upright. I set him back down against the wall, and ran to the nearest pay phone. When the ambulance arrived his mother also did. She looked absolutely furious.
"I THOUGHT YOU WOULDN'T BE LIKE HIM! YOU PROMISED YOU WOULD BE DIFFERENT!" I was tempted to chase down the ambulance and tell her to stop yelling at him. I wanted to just take him away from her, but some things just aren't meant to happen.

——————————————————————————————————————————

After that night Peter always acted differently. He was no longer sweet and innocent, he was loud and cocky. I never really figured out what caused the sudden change in attitude, but whatever it was I hated it. I hated him, the new him that was always bragging. The one that thought he was better than everyone else. Or at least that's what I thought he'd become, but boy was I wrong.

——————————————————————————————————————————

"Hiya Jubilee!" Peter says running up to me.
"I've told you a million times! Don't call me that! My name is Jubilation."
"Man you seem mad. Wanna talk about it?" He didn't even give me a second to reply before going on. "Nope? Okay good I don't think I could sit still that long."
"Over dramatic much."
"Nope. Hey listen we should hang out sometime."
"In your dreams Maximoff." I say laughing and rolling my eyes, feeling him watch me as I walk away.

——————————————————————————————————————————

Mute. Quiet. Sad. Disturbed. That's how he was acting. No one noticed besides me. No one cares besides me. No matter how much I told myself that I hated him, I still couldn't quite believe it. "Hey Peter!" I shout, and he doesn't even smile.
"Hey Jubilee," he mutters, but all his drive is gone.
"How was your weekend?" Nothing. I wait a minute. Still nothing. "That bad huh? Mine wasn't great either. Did you hear the news? The mutant terrorist Magneto broke out of the Pentagon! No reports but-" I stopped suddenly in realization. "Y-you broke him out?!" Peter doesn't respond, I'm tempted to smack him. "That was you wasn't it?! You broke him out!"
"SHH!" He shouts shoving me into the janitors closet and stumbling in after me. "Okay yes it was me but-"
"You broke into the Pentagon?!" I practically shout.
"I was hired by some guys!"
"Who?!" I ask afraid it could be someone bad.
"Other mutants okay!"
"Is that why you haven't been yourself lately? Guilt?" I ask concern dripping from my voice, eyes pleading.
"No I-it's just..." that's when I realized how much I was asking from him. At that point we didn't even think of each other as friends. "He's my father."
"What?!

——————————————————————————————————————————

From that day on I got to know Peter better. We became friends, I shared things with him I've never told anyone before. Eventually he came to trust me, and slowly I found myself falling in love with him. I tried to convince myself that it was just a phase, but every time he touched me I felt like there was (extra) energy running through my body. Every time he smiled or laughed I felt like I could just melt on the spot. As much as I tried not to, I thought about what his lips would feel like against mine. To say I was shocked when he asked me to the dance was an understatement. I, of course, said yes. I would've been crazy not to. And I'm so glad that I did. That night after the dance was over he dropped me off at the mall and kissed me. He actually kissed me. I couldn't believe it at first, I didn't know how to respond. Eventually we started dating, and moved in together, we dated for five years before he proposed. That brings me to today, I'm snapped back into reality by the priest clearing his throat.
"You may now kiss the bride." Peter kissed me with such a gentle passion that I wish I could just stand there forever.
"Just what I've been waiting for," I murmur.
"I'm all yours Mrs. Maximoff."