chapter 3

I sulked back over to Beth without looking back at Louis or Niall. I was so embarrassed that Chad showed up here. I keep my life private. Jake only knows that I had to get away from my family and Chad. My co-workers think I'm just like them, saving money for school. Louis knows I'm planning on going to medical school once I have money. Beth is the only one in this bar that knows what's going on in my life. I want to keep it that way.

Once I reached her I asked, "so how bad was that?"

She sighed and said, "Well, on a scale of 1 to 100, I would give it an 80."

"There is no way I can go back over to Louis and his friend Niall. As I was walking away I could hear the disgust in Niall's voice."

" Wait, Niall Horan?"

"I don't know, I was a little busy getting humiliated to get his last name." Sometimes I wonder about Beth.

"That has to be Niall Horan. I thought he looked familiar. He is my new boss. I will go say hi and distract them from what happened." Ahh Beth, always having my back.

She dragged me back over to the guys table. She had a huge grin and started being her normal bubbly self. "Dr. Horan it's nice to see you again. Thank you again for this job opportunity! This is my friend Charlotte and she will be your server. Have a fantastic lunch and try the chili cheese fries... Only if you don't plan on kissing anyone tonight!" She winked at me and gave them a big smile and left.

I couldn't help but chuckle. I looked back at the guys. "Hate to break it to you, but we don't have chili cheese fries."

"That's okay, I have girls to kiss, I don't need bad breath slowing me down." Niall said and then winked at me. Ahhh what. I swear he was glaring at me two minutes ago. Beth's plan must have worked.

"Well, I will take a burger with regular fries and how about a milkshake?" Louis said with a sympathetic smile.

"Louis, this is a bar. The closest thing we have to a milkshake is a white russian." As I was saying this I dropped my pen. I hurried and bent down to pick it up and when I stood up I caught Louis shaking his head disappointingly. I don't know if it was at me or Niall.

"Well love, I think I will get what Louis is having." Niall's accent is different than Louis's. I think it's Irish.

"Are you irish?" My mouth started speaking before my brain could stop it.

"Yes he is and how about you get us some waters?" Why is Louis trying to get me to leave? Does he think I'm some awful girl now that he got a glimpse into my personal life. I shrugged it off and muttered an okay and left.

After I brought their drinks out I only kept minimal contact with them. Every time I walked over to them Louis would stop talking and look at Niall. I kept their waters refilled and brought their food out to them, but I didn't talk to them until it was time to pay the check.

As I was waiting for them to hand me their cards to pay, Niall broke the silence and asked me an unexpected and personal question.

"So was that guy your fiance?"

"I guess you could call him that, but not anymore." I was too nervous to look into his eyes right away, but Louis gasped and made me look up. I felt like every time I looked away, Niall and Louis would have a quick secret conversation.

"So you got tired of him and broke his heart? Or did you just not want to commit yourself to one guy for the rest of your life?"

To say I was shocked was an understatement. I was speechless. If only they knew the truth. I could tell them the truth, but I didn't know how they would react to it, so I decided on a half truth.