October

There was something about autumn that was like a bitter sweet fruit. Glancing around the trees with its fallen golden-brown leaves and the other leaves turning gold, Calam loved the colours. However, there was something slightly melancholy that they were now in the last quarter of the year. Of course, it was nice to feel the refreshing cool weather that Calam preferred but the dark nights and winter were around the corner.

A huge angry roar broke the tranquil cry of birds by the shore as Fudge ran ahead crashing into the foliage as Calam looked up to see the Rapido airbus soaring into the air. Smiling to himself he wondered if Caitlin was on board for her shift to the Algarve as part of the cabin crew.

Looking around Calam needed this walk and maybe a run later. Tomorrow would be D-day after all the shit he had been put through over the past year. Today also might be the last as a surgeon although that seemed unlikely it would be another nightmare if he was found guilty.

Back to over a year ago

Feeling the fresh air in his face, Calam greedily sucked it in as he also embraced the natural light like a long-lost friend. Why Caitlin wanted to do a bit more shopping at Marks and Spencers, Calam didnt know. After all wasn't that the reason why they did the home shopping to avoid the monotony of having to go the supermarket?

'I think that should be everything for the barbecue,' Caitlin said as she casually opened a packet of cola jelly worms. Do you want one?

'Yeah, I'll have one.'

To the casual observer they appeared to be a couple very much in the throes of love. From the smiling long lingering looks, laughing and discreet touching as Calam wheeled their shopping to the car they would be very much correct.

In the distance the pair didnt take much notice of the pot bellied middle-aged man that stared at the pair like a angry dog ready to be thrust into an illegal dog fight.

'Shurrup!' Caitlin giggled as Calam opened the boot.

'Why don't you fuck off back home?'

The hairs on Calam's neck rose instantly as his stomach lurched. It had been a familiar feeling that he felt at St. Jude's when Twigg and his sidekicks were looking for someone weak to prey on. In the meantime Caitlin's mouth went temporally dry at what she knew was going to come next. Her brain prayed that by ignoring the woollyback they could just get off home away from the meathead.

'Did you hear me? Why don't you fuckoff back bitch?'

Calam turned around and gave that wrinkled laid back frown that he gave loud mouthed idiots.

'Back where?' Caitlin snapped as she stepped forward. 'Come on tell me where I ought to fuckoff back to?'

The man stared in temporary shock at the broad Belfast accent but it still didn't alter his behaviour.

'Something wrong with you, Let's go home and get away from this divvy.'

'No,' Caitlin said stepping another foot forward. 'I'm not letting this ding dong intimidate me.'

'Your lot would know all about that. Now you rag heads are even infiltrating Northern Ireland.'

'My lot?'

'Muslims, because that's what you are. If you were back home, you wouldn't be allowed to speak to me like that. You've got no fucking rights and yet you want to turn this country into a Muslim one with Sharia law.'

'Look just fuckoff now before I get the Police,' Calam snapped.

A lump was forming in Caitlin's throat at the aggressive tone. She could feel her heart racing at the confrontation but the anger and rage was surging through her that this man was judging Caitlin on her skin colour. This hadn't been the first time that somebody had tried to make her feel inferior.