seven

.seven
NOT DEAD YET

SHORTLY AFTER WE BROKE into the trees we'd changed our run to a walk, all of us catching our breaths and finally processing what the hell had just happened. I was still being carried by my dad, my head leaning childishly against his arm and my own arms tucked to my body with the world spinning around. Rick lead the group, dad and I right behind him as everyone stayed close. Dad and Rick were keeping a watchful eye out for something, both of them looking around.

"Right here." Dad suddenly said as he slowed down and carefully placed me against a tree before digging in some dirt and leaves to pull out a small shovel. He threw it to Rick, who picked it up and started digging away at a spot. This must've been where the duffle of supplies had been hidden that Gareth had been so adamant about finding.

Dad crouched back down next to me, silently asking if I was okay. I rolled my eyes in reply. I was starting to feel annoyed at everyone asking me if I was okay, it was nice but getting it from everyone just seemed to overwhelm me too much. I was never good in a group of people, and now in a group so different from Atlanta, I'm going to have to learn to adjust again.

"The hell are we still around here for?" Abraham's voice boomed through the silence making me jump as he angrily stepped towards Rick. I don't know if dad noticed but he'd ever so slightly moved in front of me protectively, not trusting Abraham's wrath near me.

"Guns, some supplies," Rick answered, pulling out and opening the duffle bag. He passed a gun to dad, who checked the bullets in it before shoving it into his belt, "Go along the fences. Use the rifles. Take out the rest of 'em."

"What?" I breathed out, regretting it as everyone looked over at me. We'd just escaped, I wasn't going back after being trapped there for weeks.

"They don't get to live," Rick argued back, I held back the scoff that I knew was coming but breathed out and turned away.

"Rick, we got out." Glenn chipped in, gently stepping towards Rick "It's over."

"It's not over till they're all dead."

"The hell it isn't." Rosita exclaimed, stepping next to Abraham "That place is on fire. Full of walkers."

"I'm not dicking around with this crap," Abraham shouted, his hand running over his moustache.

I scowled, looking over at dad and meeting his eye halfway. I knew he wanted to go back and kill all of the termites, a little part of me also wanted to but I knew that it wasn't clever. I gave my head one shake to tell dad my thoughts about it, he frowned and thought about for a second before sighing and humming in agreement. In a couple seconds, dad and I had decided our united views about it.

"We just made it out. Tuck needs help," Maggie chipped in calmly, keeping eye contact with Rick. "The fences are down. They'll run or die."

I watched intently as Rick deflated, his anger and tension leaving his body. It was clear that Maggie was the voice of reason for Rick, hell the whole group. All of them glanced to Maggie and nodded at her words. Dad stood up from his crouch and slapped his hand down on Rick's shoulder.

A snap of a twig made all of us turn to see what was happening. My eyes widened and I took in a sharp breath when I saw Carol hesitantly walk towards the group. My mouth was agape as dad sprinted towards her and pulled Carol into a strong hug. I smiled a small smile, I'd never seen dad react to anyone like that. Not even Merle. I was shocked at how much dad had changed, from an angry recluse to someone who was a leading member of the group with close friends.

Carol laughed as dad lifted her up slightly before reluctantly letting go and placing his head on her shoulder for a couple seconds. As he moved away, walking back to me, Rick pulled Carol into a hug.