fourteen

.fourteen
RESCUE TEAM

"YOUR FRIEND, WHAT'S HIS NAME? I need to talk to him. Your plan is going to get me and my friends killed." The officer named Shepherd asked as we walked them back to our original spot, I turned to face the woman and rolled my eyes.

"We're gonna make it work." Sasha dismissed Shepherd's worries

"It would work if you had different cops to trade." We all stopped walking and turned around to face Shepherd, what was her game plan. Did she not know that she wasn't going to change our plan because she doesn't want to die? "Dawn's running Grady into the ground. A bunch of us want her out and she knows it. Pretty sure she knows we want Lamson to replace her, too."

"Dawn doesn't know that." Lamson countered her claims, obviously feeling like our wat was the best way to go about this deal.

"She might. And she's smart. So there's a good chance you can't make this deal work and that'll leave us all dead. But if you let us go, we'll take care of Dawn ourselves and then we'll let your friends go and this is over." Shepherd was trying to compromise with us, strike a deal so she could save her own skin. I didn't believe her, despite her knowledgeable tone, I didn't believe that they would take care of this Dawn lady and in no way would they let Beth and Carol go for the goodness of their hearts.

"No, we're not gonna do that." Lamson butted in, making Shepherd look at him in confusion and concern.

"Do you want to die?" She started to exclaim, only to get cut off again.

"No. I just need you to shut up right now." The other officer spat out instantly shutting Shepherd up, I held in my smirk and looked at the floor as dad smacked my arm when he saw me chuckling to myself "You can make this work. But you've got to be able to talk to her."

"Noah told us all about her," Sasha informed, disgust and disbelief lacing her voice.

"I've known her for eight years, ma'am. I know this woman. And my only interest is a peaceful resolution, not dying, and sleeping in my bed tonight. So, please, let me help you. Please."

He was desperate, we all knew that. I glanced up at dad who nodded to himself before raising his hand up to motion Rick over.

"Hey, Rick." Dad shouted over his shoulder "You're gonna want to hear this."

After a long conversation all about our plan with the three officers, dad and I found ourselves standing around keeping watch of Shepherd and Licari. He was pacing back and forth between two large pillars, obviously trying to waste time whilst Rick spoke with Lamson about Dawn and how she was a bitch. Noah was sat on the ground, checking the guns ammo levels as Sasha and Tyresse went on a small scavenging mission.

"Tuck" I heard dad call from the pillar opposite the one I was leaning on "Come 'ere"

I sighed and pushed myself off the pillar, walking over to were my dad was leaning against the other one and biting his nail from habit. I knew he wanted to talk about the argument, finally not being able to deal with it being untouched and at the back of his head anymore. I couldn't blame him, I didn't want to think about that shit anymore either.

"Look dad" I started to whisper as soon as I reached him, "I forgive you, I know you didn't mean it and you were just angry with me for shoutin' at you and accusin' you of shit..." I dragged off to silence, waiting for dad to say something.

He looked at me confused, flicking his hair out of his eyes "How did-"

"Because, like I said to Noah, I'm a Dixon born and raised" I cut him off, he chuckled lightly and looked down but looked up when I laughed "You're still an asshole"