nineteen

.nineteen
FROM A FRIEND

WHEN DAD AND I eventually returned to the group, they were all collected around a large pile of bottles. I frowned as Rick stepped up to us, passing dad a piece of paper. Locking eyes with Noah he shrugged and looked back at the water. Dad passed the note to me, allowing me to read it for a second.

'From a friend' I stared down at the words confused, I didn't trust whoever this person was. It was evident that whoever send the water was following us, but for how long? I knew that dad felt the same way, his arms were tense enough that he was able to lift his crossbow quickly. Taking my queue from him, I held my gun in front of me instead of letting it rest by my side.

"What are we gonna do" Tara asked, her eyes fixated on the water like she was finding it difficult to leave it alone. Rick shook his head and strolled back into the group, his arms loosely held at his sides.

"Not this" he concluded, looking down the road to see if he could spot anyone or thing coming towards us "We don't know who left it"

"If that's a trap, we already happen to be in it" Eugene kept his head low, his voice wavering with fear. I'd never known what to think of Eugene, obviously he was smart but he was also the most cowardly person I have ever met. As mean as it sounded I was surprised he'd made it this far, but then again I guess it's easy when you're a good liar. "But, I for one, would like to think that it is indeed from a friend"

Even the way he spoke confused me, it was never simple sentences. I glanced down at the water again, counting the bottles and jugs. To say I didn't want to just drink the water would be a lie. I felt my throat constricting at the sight of the water, my brain telling me to just pick one up and drink it.

I shifted my weight, flinching and looking away from the water when dad placed his hand on my elbow. He subtly shook his head no at me, telling me to not even think about jumping for the water. I sighed through my nose, nodding my head in understanding. I couldn't trust the note.

"What if it isn't, they put something in it?" Carol asked even though it was a question that needed an answer. There was a pause, all of us staring down the water. Eugene suddenly sprung forwards and swiped one of the bottles up.

"Eugene!" Rosita shouted, taking a step forwards but not stopping him.

"What are you doing, dude?" Tara asked, concerned about her friend. He just ignored her and opened the bottle with shaky hands, we all watched him.

"Quality insurance" he finally replied as he started to lift the bottle to his lips. Before he could take a sip, Abraham had lunged forwards and slapped it from his hands. I watched sadly as the water spilled onto the floor. Eugene looked at his friend with fear, watching him step back into his original spot.

"We can't" Rick told Eugene, not taking his eyes of the shaking man.

There was a loud and low rumble over head. I looked up to the sky, frowning at the grey overcast that had suddenly appeared. Dad looked up after me, everyone following our lead. Thunder rumbled again, quickly followed by the putter of rain falling down onto us.

I sighed as the cold rain hit my face, cooling me. Everyone just stood there for a second as the rain got slightly heavier. I felt all the blood and gore drip down my face and arms with the water droplets, pooling at my feet. People started to laugh, smiling at each other. Noah smiled at me from his spot and I found myself actually smiling back at him, a quiet laugh escaping when he threw his arms out dramatically.

"Everybody, get the bags. Anything you can find" Rick ordered, getting empty bottles from bags and placing them to collect the water "Come on"

We all started to do the same, finding anything to put water into. Thunder clapped again. This time louder and more aggressive, the rain starting to beat down forcefully. Judith started to cry from the volume of it all, Carl trying to cover her head with his hat. Everyone slowly stood, looking down the road at the approaching storm as the thunder started to boom around us.