thirtyeight

.thirtyeight
SPOILED PLANS

I WAS SHOCKED AWAKE by heavy knocks on my door, an exhausted groan echoing around my room as I rolled away from the sound. I was given a few moments of peace before the knocking sounded again. Grumbling, I rolled out of bed and quickly pulled on a shirt as I trudged to the door. Opening it, I glared at my dad on the other side who just scoffed at me.

"Get dressed, we're leaving" he informed before turning around and leaving me alone to wake up.

Yawning, I quickly changed into fresh clothes before getting all my weapons ready. I shoved a gun into the back of my belt, just in case I needed it despite the fact that it wouldn't be my first choice of weapon.

I looked towards the hockey stick placed on top of my chest of draws. His name staring at me. I breathed out shakily as I placed my hand onto the wood, my finger tracing the ridges of his name. Closing my eyes, I pushed away all of the bad thoughts, forcing myself to remember the good ones. It was something Carol told me to do, saying it would help me.

Day after day it for a bit easier to look at his name, to think about him. I just needed to take it one day at a time. One day at a time.

~~~~~~

"

All right, this is the finish line." Rick announced to us all as we stopped by some balloons. Looking around the area, I walked around quietly as I observed every space that could either hinder or help us. "When we make it to green, we fall back. The ditches and ridges will keep them on the road. We head home, but Daryl, Sasha, and Abraham take them the rest of the way, 20 miles more. All right, let's go."

I walked beside dad as he pushed his bike along beside him. The group followed behind Rick as he lead the way, explaining his plan as he went. The Alexandrians listened closely, taking in as much information about what was going to happen tomorrow. This whole ordeal was dangerous but it needed to be done sooner rather than later, we didn't want the walkers getting out before we knew what we were doing.

"You ready for tomorrow?" Dad asked me as we walked. I glanced at him as I shrugged, honestly I wouldn't know until it was happening. We were all going to be thrown into a situation none of us had experienced, there was no way in hell anyone would know if they were ready or not until Rick said it was go time.

"Who fucking knows" I muttered, picking the sleep from my eyes as I yawned.

Eventually the path lead us to a closed up shop, the sound of walkers inside being able to be heard. I frowned, looking through the dirty windows as the group stopped. I couldn't see how many were in there but it was enough for them to be causing a ruckus.

"We're gonna take 'em right past here." Rick shouted over the noise used his hand to motion the way the walkers will go.

"All that noise could distract them." Glenn pointed out, motioning to the shop. Rick nodded, hands on his hips as he looked at the shop.

"We'll clear it on our way back tonight." Rick concluded, looking to dad and I as a way of saying that we'd be joining him in doing this. I nodded back at him, telling him I was up for helping out. "We don't want any surprises tomorrow."

Again Rick was walking off, the group slowly trailing behind him. I caught sight of Glenn whispering to Nicholas, making me stop in my tracks as I glared at the man. I could feel my anger start to get more and more overwhelming, my hand resting on top of one of my hatchets. My gaze was broken by dad as he pushed me forwards gently, before he practically lead me away from the man. He kept his hand on my back before he felt like we were far enough away and he finally let me walk alone again.