fortyfive

.fortyfive
MOVING ON UP

WITH RICK'S AGREEMENT, it was decided that we would let Jesus lead us to what he called Hilltop. I wasn't a fan of this plan, we didn't know if we could trust him or if Hilltop was a real place. However, I understood why we needed to take this risk. We needed food, and Jesus was willing to trade with us. Everyone quickly moved to get their things together, Rick stepping up to me as I gathered my hatchets.

"Tuck, keep an eye on him" he instructed, nodding to Jesus who stood outsides talking to Maggie.

I nodded, grabbing my jacket before walking outside. Jesus turned to me as I stepped outside the door, staying quiet as Maggie walked away. Standing outside, I turned away from everyone to keep an eye on Jesus as I took my pack of cigarettes from my pocket. I frowned at how many I had left, I needed to find more soon. Maybe I could steal some from dad. I could feel Jesus' eyes on me as I placed the stick into my mouth, setting alight before taking a long drag. Leaning back against the banister, I used my foot to drag the bag of Jesus' knives closer towards me. 

"I want to apologise for earlier" Jesus spoke up, smiling slightly as I glared at him. He couldn't trick me with his nice guy act. He broke into our house and now expects us to trust him because he wants to trade with us. 

"Shut it" I muttered, blowing out a cloud of smoke as I glanced around. Abraham had brought the RV down in front of the house , everyone gathering their guns and weapons. Dad worked under the hood, checking the engine and making sure that it wasn't going to fail on us like it had so many times before. 

"I can see you're a fighter" Jesus spoke up again "Not a fan of g-" 

"What did I just say?" I butted in angrily, irritated that he kept trying to have a conversation with me. I hated the way he looked at me, with soft eyes that still managed to stare directly into me.

"I never got your name" he stated, still unfazed by my glares.

"I don't care" I spoke over him as he carried on trying to get information on me.

"I get it, some stranger breaks into your house and kicks your ass. You have every right to not want to talk to me"

"You didn't kick my ass" 

"If you say so" Jesus said with a deep chuckle, before finally going quiet. Perhaps he'd given up and finally realised that I didn't want anything to do with him "You and your dad are very alike" 

Maybe not.

Pausing mid drag, I took the cigarette between my fingers and pushed off the banister. Jesus shifted as I walked up to him, moving his arms to rest either side of him. Something stopped me from getting in his face, the intensity of his relaxed stare making my mind whirl. I wanted so badly to break eye contact, stop the strange feeling inside, but I couldn't. It was like he'd grabbed hold of me and wouldn't let go. He looked away first and it was like I could breathe.

"You don't know anything about us" I warned after a pause, finally able to actual say something. Jesus shrugged, eyes squinting slightly - like he knew something wasn't right.

"You're both extremely stubborn, reserved, aggressive, short temp-" 

Cutting him off, I grabbed onto his coat collar "I said shut -"

"Tucker!" 

Letting go of Jesus, I huffed as he smirked at me. I cursed under my breath at the fact that Rick had given him my name. Turning around, I threw my cigarette over the banister onto the grass and thudded down the steps towards Rick and the others.