thirteen

.thirteen
FUCK THE POLICE

I WAS SITTING on the stairs outside using a hammer to pull apart pieces of wood, watching as a distressed Gabriel held onto his organ pipes protectively. He didn't like that we were destroying his church but he should be grateful, we were helping him and the least he could do was help. An involuntary scoff from me made Gabriel snap his focus away from the pipes, he frowned at me and I just shook my head.

"Not to be rude or anythin', Gabriel" I started, my voice gruff and obviously annoyed "You can stand and mope all you want but that ain't gonna do shit against walkers, you wanna live?" I asked, clenching my hands open and closed whilst I waited for his reply. He thought about it for a couple seconds, his face scrunched together.

"Yes," he replied, looking at me with sad eyes.

"Then help." I bluntly replied, abruptly pushing myself to stand and dropping the plank of wood on the floor, I had to stop the mocking laugh as Gabriel flinched back. I held my hands up, slightly mocking him for being so jumpy in this situation "Don't expect us, especially me, to do everythin' for you. Get over yourself, you ain't above us 'cause you're some holy Father, the walkers don't give a shit 'bout what job you had and neither do I. So step off your high fuckin' horse and help, 'kay?"

Dad walked out of the church, carrying a large pile of organ pipes, just as I finished my sentence. He frowned at the scene, tensing as he threw them to the ground making Gabriel flinch again.

I didn't mean to sound so cruel and blunt to Gabriel but a part of me couldn't hold back, maybe because I was still annoyed at my dad for running off. The argument was very fresh in my mind still, and I'd lost sleep thinking about it. He hadn't apologised yet and I had nothing to apologise for.

"It all good here?" He asked, his voice low and gravelly.

I nodded and looked at Gabriel "Peachy" I spat out before storming into the church leaving my dad confused.

I glanced at Sasha, who was furiously bashing one of the benches to bits, as I walked into the church before going to where I had put my stuff. Picking my hockey stick up, I lent it against the bench and bent down to retrieve my gun that Rick had found and pushed it into my belt.

Everyone who was going to go save Beth and Carol started to gather their shit, so I made sure I had everything I needed. Pulling my jacket on, which was dirty and covered in blood, I froze at a cough from behind.

"What ya doin'?" I heard dad asked, making me hang my head and carry on putting my jacket over my shoulders "You ain't-"

"I am" I bluntly interrupted, slowly turning to face my dad who looked pissed that I was defying him "I ain't stayin' here, deal with it. I may not know Beth but I owe this to Carol"

Dad's glare intensified and he stepped up to me so he could look down at me. I puffed my own chest up in retaliation trying to show that I wasn't crapping my pants, we might have argued a lot but I rarely defied dad so in this situation neither of us really knew what to do. I gulped slightly when dad pulled the gun out of my belt and wiggled it in the air.

"Do ya even know how to shoot?" When I didn't reply for a couple seconds he scoffed, "Well?"

"Yeah, I've used a gun before" I snarled back, snatching it from him before turning around done with the conversation "Not that you would care" I muttered as I started to walk to the group outside, swooping up my hockey stick and swinging it over my shoulder.

"What did ya say?" Dad called to me, making me pause and glare over my shoulder at him.

"You heard me" I shouted back before walking off and joining Rick's side outside.