fortyseven

.fortyseven
GAME PLAN

AS WE APPROACHED THE gates of Alexandria, I felt a sense of relief at the idea of being able to rest for a bit. Then again, we had to prepare for fighting so I wasn't sure I'd get much rest anyway. As soon as the RV came to a stop, we were all standing up and picking up boxes of supplies. I followed behind Glenn and dad, keeping to myself as I carried them towards the pantry. We'd gotten a lot of good things, lots of cans as well as things for planting.

Olivia smiled at us as we passed, a notepad clutched close to her chest like it was her life line. Thinking about it, I don't think I'd ever seen her without it. Aaron took the box from me, placing it onto one of the shelves.

We carried on unloading the stuff for Olivia and helpers to sort out for about an hour before quickly making our way to the church. Rick wanted to gauge everyone's opinions on our situation before making a full decision. There was quite a few people already sat by the time I arrived with the others, dad sitting alone near the front. Sitting next to him, I sank down into the bench slightly. Churches creeped me out, they were so silently eerie.

Rick made his way to the front, the room falling quiet, he cleared his throat "Earlier a group of us took a trip up to another community, they're like us. However they needed weapons and we needed food, medicine, supplies. We can work with the Hilltop. Maggie hammered out a deal. We're getting food-- eggs, butter, fresh vegetables. But they're not just giving it away."

He paused for a second, letting everyone feel the relief of have food as well as some fresh things too. To be perfectly honest I couldn't remember the last time I had fresh vegetables. I honestly didn't know if I'd ever had them, dad was never a cook before all this. We'd have fresh meat, but that was usually with something frozen or bread and a beer. We were also stupidly poor from Merle spending most of our money on drugs. He always seemed to know where we'd hidden some money and was just as quick to spend it.

"These Saviors, they almost killed Sasha, Daryl, and Abraham on the road. Now, sooner or later, they would've found us, just like those Wolves did, just like Jesus did. They woulda killed someone or some of us. And then they would try to own us. And we would try to stop them. But by then, in that kind of fight, low on food, we could lose."

Rick seemed like he'd always been good at talking to people, rallying them up ready for battle. Perhaps if the end of the world happened and he hadn't been a cop, Rick would've made a good salesman.

" This is the only way to be sure, as sure as we can get, that we win. And we have to win. We do this for the Hilltop, it's how we keep this place. It's how we feed this place. This needs to be a group decision. If anybody objects, here's your chance to say your piece."

The sound of a bench creaking seemed to grab everyone attention, I didn't have to turn around to know that it was Morgan ready to share his mind. The man seemed to hate doing what was needed, too nieve to accept it was how life was. Someday it was going to kick him in the ass and he'll realise. Dad looked at the man with a frown, whislt I crossed my arms and sunk further into my chair.

"You're sure we can do it?" his voice echoed through the small church, his voice ever so calm and comprehensive "We can beat them?"

"What this group has done, what we've learned, what we've become, all of us-- yes, I'm sure." Rick answered. I believed him, this community had changed so much since the wall fell. They were stronger mentally and physically, we gained fighters from that day.

"Then all we have to do is just tell them that." Morgan replied, sounding so certain that it would work out for us. I couldn't help but scoff, catching everyone's attention. Rick nodded at me, silently telling me I could say my piece, maybe talk some sense into Morgan.