twentythree

.twentythree
THE LAST LEG

WHO KNEW a road trip to Washington could be so boring. I mean I kind of expected to be bored out of my mind but this was something else. With my hockey stick balanced over my legs, I sat on the floor against one of the sofas as I attempted to tape on a grip that I'd previously found in the storage place before leaving.

None of us knew what to expect of Alexandria. I didn't even know if we would stay. I guess that if Rick stayed then so would dad and probably the rest of the group. If Noah stayed then so did I, I wasn't going to leave him there just because of my own anxieties about the place.

Ever since those fucking insane inbred cannibal assholes I found myself very cautious about the idea of joining another group. I was probably only just recovering from the shit they put me through, starting to feel like myself again and I wasn't prepared for Alexandria to do that to me again.

Looking down at my wrists, I stared at the bandage still around the wrist I injured when Sasha accidentally pushed my down the ditch. It didn't feel painful when I moved it anymore, meaning it was time to get rid of the bandage.

I brought my wrist to my mouth, using my teeth to undo the knott before unravelling with my other hand. Placing the bandage onto the floor, I rotated my hand and smiling when I didn't feel any pain.

Taking a sip from the bottle of water next to me, I held it in my mouth for a second before swallowing it. My ass was already numb from sitting on the ground and I didn't even know how long it had been, or how long we had left. Some of the group decided to nap, Maggie leaning her head on Glenn's shoulder, whilst the others spike quietly with each other. Opposite me Eugene, Tara and Noah played cards.

Using my knife to cut the duct tape Aaron gave me, I stook a bit of them onto Dad boot to make sure I didn't lose them. Winding the grip around the handle, I clicked my tongue as I worked, sticking the tape around the ends of the grip.

I glanced up as Noah stepped over me, a bottle of pain killers in hand. He limped towards the open door, leaning against the frame. He spoke with Aaron, handing the pills over for him. Keeping an eye on his back, I paused working on my hockey stick when I noticed him tense.

I wondered what they were talking about that made Noah stand to awkwardly and tense against the door frame. Slowly Noah relaxed, but I stayed tensed until he turned around with a smile. Raising an eyebrow at him, he limped towards me before holding his hand out for me to grab.

He scoffed as I frowned, jutting his head towards the table. "We're playing cards" he explained before bending down and grabbing my hand. I placed my hockey stick on the floor before standing up, letting Noah lead me to the table.

He slid onto the bench first, shuffling up to the wall as I followed after him. We were squished close together, our thighs pressing together. My leg suddenly jutted slightly when I felt Noah placed his hand onto my leg. I gulped when he didn't move the hand, the touch feeling like fire. He acted like nothing happened and looked towards Eugene and Tara, who was smiling at us.

"Welcome Tucker, wild cards are jokers, one-eyed jacks, dueces"  My frown increased as Eugene carried on listing the rules, what ever happened to a normal game of cards. You know get half way through, give up, and just beat up the other players. Game nights at the Dixons got crazy sometimes.

"Jesus, you don't make this easy Eugene" Tara gasped out, looking at Eugene like he grew another head. Picking up my set of cards, I kept my face placid and void of emotion. It was a shit hand.

"Aim for the five of a kind." Eugene concluded and like that the game began.

As it progressed, we bet on things like cans of food. I kept my cards close to my chest when Noah tapped me on the shoulder again, throughout the game he'd been asking me for assistance... which I probably should stop giving. Noah had won the most hands so far but I couldn't help it.