fifty

.fifty

THE PAST COUPLE OF DAYS had been repetitive, wake up, check the stitches on my side, practice throwing my hatchets, sit by his grave, check my bike is good and go for a walk around Alexandria with cigarette in hand before helping Carol out for the rest of the day. In some ways it was nice to have structure to my days again but then again, it was slowly chipping away at my brain. I just wished I could do something different. 

I hadn't heard from Jesus since that day, he hadn't come to visit from Hilltop since that day. Maybe that was a good thing, being around him felt weird and I knew that feeling too well - I couldn't risk anything like that. Not again. 

I blew out a puff of smoke as I walked down the centre of the street, people didn't pay any attention to me as they strolled past. This community was getting stronger by the day, every session with Rosita was prepping them just incase another group tried to attack us again. 

"Tucker!" I glanced back as Denise shouted after me, watching as she awkwardly speed walked towards me "Wait!"

I blew out one final cloud I crossed my arms with a heavy sigh, turning around to face her as she stepped up to me. She seemed flustered, like she was nervous about something. Usually around this time Rosita was training people who needed it, I could only assume that Denise was supposed to be there.

"Don't you have training?" I asked, squinting my eyes as Denise awkwardly chuckled and glanced around. Was she up to something, or maybe hiding something? Denise and  I weren't really friends, I didn't really know much about her, but fucking hell was she embarrassingly awkward to talk to.

"I wanna do something else" she answered secretly, her fingers fiddling with each other. I gave her look, the woman taking a hint and explaining "A run, with you and Daryl"

I couldn't help but sigh again, at the end of the day even if I said yes to Denise I knew for a fact that dad would have the final word. He would most certainly shut Denise down. She wasn't ready. Then again I was pretty sure I wouldn't hear the end of it if I said no. She seemed like one of those irritating people. Without saying a word I nodded and started to walk to where I'd last seen my dad.

"Let's go!"

~~~~~

Dad stood in front of Denise with a deep frown and his arms crossed in front of his stomach. He was pretty intimidating, I didn't blame Denise coming to me first. I stood away from their stare down, hands on my hips.

"After I got out of DC, I just drove." Denise explained, trying to keep her nerves down "I remember seeing it right when I realised I had no idea where I was going. Edison's Apothecary and Boutique. It's just this little gift shop in a strip mall, but if it's really an apothecary, they had drugs."

"How do you know they still got 'em?" dad questioned, wanting to understand if it was worth the trip and not just a waste of fuel.

"It isn't that far, I just wanna check." Denise quickly defended her idea, glancing back at me for a second "And you and Tucker aren't out scavenging or pulling shifts."

"We'll go." dad said as if it was final, motioning towards me. Denise drew back slightly, her body rigid.

"I wanted to check." she continued to press, her voice raising in pitch slightly "I just wanted to help."

"How much time you spend out there?" dad questioned, trying to prove that she wasn't ready.

"None."