Chapter 2

I've been sitting in my car, in the school parking lot, just thinking. I'm trying to come up with some sort of logical reasoning behind all this madness. Am I cursed?

I pull down my visor and flip open the mirror, looking at my freshly blackened eye, touching it to see how much it hurts. That's another thing I'm confused about; why doesn't it hurt when I get them?

I flip the visor back up and start the engine, wanting to just go home.

Right when I pull into the driveway, my phone rings. I put it in park and click the 'answer' button, "Hello?"

"Frank! Wanna come over?" It's Mikey, sounding really excited. I want to say no, but when Mikey's excited, there's got to be a good reason behind it.

"Yeah, sure," I sigh, "I'll be there in a few minutes."

After hanging up, I throw my phone into the passenger seat and put the car in reverse, slowly backing out.

When I arrive at Mikey's house, I see Ray's car, Donna's car and an unfamiliar car. I furrow my eyebrows and get out, still eyeing the car. Maybe that's why Mikey's excited; did Donna get him a car?

I knock a few times and wait. After a few minutes, I shrug my shoulders and open the door, it's not like Mikey'll care. I walk into the living and find Mikey talking to Ray and a man I've never seen before. Or maybe he's excited about the stranger and that car is actually the stranger's?

"Hey, Mikey. Hey, Ray," I greet them, mainly saying it to get their attention.

"Hey, Fra- holy shit! What happened to your face?" Ray says, obviously talking about my eye.

"I, um, don't know," I mumble, embarrassed. I mean, who the hell doesn't know what happened to their eye?

"What do you mean?" Mikey asks, confused. I would be too. "Did you get punched? Or did you do some crazy stunt that only you could think of and hit your face?"

I chuckle and the last one, thinking back to a few things I've done that ended in me getting injured. "Yeah, some douche did it."

They nod and look over at the stranger. He's staring intently at me, is eyes are flickering from my eye and down to my arm. I feel kind of uncomfortable under his gaze, so I cross my arms and look away, seeing as my hair is too short to move in front of my eye.

"Gerard?" Mikey says, "Something wrong?"

"Um, no. Just thinking," he answers, shaking his head a little.

"Gerard!" Donna calls, "Gerard, can you come in here and help me with something?"

"Yeah, mom," he responds, "I'll be there in a minute." He looks down at something, something I can't see because I'm still on the other side of the couch. His eyes flicker up to me one more time and then he looks away and makes his way to the kitchen.

"That's Gerard, he's my brother," Mikey says. I think that's just a little late. But since when did he have a brother? The whole time I've been his best friend, I have never known he had a brother.

"How come I never knew about him?"

"Just never really talked about him. Before I moved, Mom and Dad went through a divorce and agreed that Dad would keep Gerard and Mom would keep me," he explains. I nod, a little upset that Mikey never told me he had a brother.

We all sit down and keep quiet. I can hear Donna talking to Gerard, but I can't be bothered to figure out what they're talking about.

The silence gets interrupted by a guitar riff, a.k.a., my ringtone. I take it out of my pocket and glance at the caller I.D and push the answer button. "Hello?"