Chapter 11

Alexandria 

My mind was racing. Everything that had happened in the past 20 minutes just seemed impossible. I laid in disbelief. I thought that I had killed Samuel. But then why was Samuel so gentle and kind to me? My heart rate increased. My thoughts just contradicted themselves. 

I slid off the bed then began searching through his room. There was nothing. Just plain white walls and a dresser. The room was bland and almost empty. 

I pressed my ear against the door and focused hard on listening for any noise on the other side, but just like the last time I checked, there was nothing and nobody. All was silent. I grew nervous and my hands were sweating a bit when I cracked the door open. I then peeked my head through the opening. 

The dimly lit hallways were empty and I took that as an opportunity to slip past and tiptoe down the hallway towards a staircase that led right up to the main floor. I paused at the end of the stairway and glanced up. There was another closed door at the top. 

I proceeded to take my first step onto the stairs but they creaked under the pressure of my ballet flats. I took them off and held them in my right hand. I then tiptoed up the stairs without making a noise. A faint clinking of glass came from the other side but there was nothing close enough to be considered a danger. 

The lights in the VIP room were off and the room was pitched dark. I brushed past all the chairs and furniture that have been scattered along the floor. After approaching the exit of the VIP room, I paused then let out a deep breath. 

What would mother and father think? What would Zayden be feeling at this moment? What about Hazel? A chill slid down my back. I shuddered at the strange feeling. 

The same clinking noise sounded again from the other side. My heart skipped a beat. It scared me and since I was closer to the source of the sound now, I knew that it was actually just on the other side of the door. Spinning around real quick, there was no other exit than the door right in front of me. 

I swallowed past a lump in my throat then pushed through the door onto the main nightclub dance floor. The place was completely vacant except for a man standing behind the counter at a bar. He was in the middle of wiping some glass cups but stopped as soon as he saw me. 

The back of my mind was screaming. I just wanted to run out of the building, so I pointed towards the main door and walked towards it while he stared at me. I assumed that he was just a human, but I was wrong to make that assumption. 

A low growl escaped from his chest and he hopped over the counter. He landed perfectly on his feet but when I glanced back at his face, his fangs were down and his hands were in the midst of transforming into werewolf claws. He knocked his head back and popped all the joints in his shoulder. 

He was transforming quickly and for the fear of me, I bolted towards the door but he charged towards me on his four legs and grabbed onto the very edge of my shirt. The tug he had on my shirt pulled me back and sent me sailing to the back of the room against the door that led to the VIP section. 

He was approaching me one step at a time on his hind legs. His fangs were bared down roughly and his eyes were threatening to draw blood. 

I scrambled towards the wall into a curled position. He was getting closer. I threw my shoes at his face and he turned his head slightly to the side so I used that quick distraction as a way to sneak past him and run towards the front doors. 

Stumbling past the main doors, I was hit in the face with fresh air. I hadn't realized how suffocating it was until I was exposed to the outside world. Turning my head up and down the road, there were only a few people walking. I sprinted down the sidewalk for a bit in fear that he was just behind me, but when I glanced behind me, there was no one. 

I was winded and drained from all the activity that had happened in the past few minutes. My heart was beating quickly and I was scared. There could've been more werewolves scattered throughout the block, circling, around the nightclub. 

I was losing my balance and I grew uncoordinated by the second. My energy was quickly going despite all the time that I had spent sleeping. It was as if I had no more energy to even walk anymore. I leaned against the brick wall of a building and cupped my hands over my ears since the screeching noises started again. I turned to the side and slide down the length of the building until I sat crouched, huddled, on the side of the road. 

A car passed by and the headlights had blinded me. I shut my eyes but opened them back up immediately and propelled myself to stand and keep going, that the werewolf couldn't have been too far behind me at this point. I was afraid to go back to the place. To ever look at it again. 

"Princess Alexandria!" A man's voice shouted. I could hear it faintly over the high-pitched screaming. I glanced around frantically, searching, for whoever said that. I must've just been hallucinated so I stumbled down the block a bit more until two men were running towards me just straight up ahead.

"Princess!" The same voice shouted and I recognized them immediately as the kingdom's guards. One guard ran into me and wrapped his arms securely around my body in a tight embrace while the other one just ran past us to go check on the nightclub. 

I turned my face inwards to his chest in order to block out any other noises and distractions. His warmth and heartbeat comforted me. It soothed my nerves and calmed the screeching inside my head. My heart fell into the same rhythm as his. 

I gazed up into his eyes and he was already looking down at me in concern. 

"Are you alright, princess?" He asked worriedly. I nodded his question. My energy was still draining and my legs gave out from under me, but his arms were there to support me. If it weren't for him, then I would've fallen onto the ground and stayed there. 

"T-thank you," I muttered, just loud enough for him to hear. 

"It's not a problem, princess. Are you sure you're okay?" He asked then glanced down my body to check for any injuries. One of his hands gripped onto a different part of my arm and I winced. He rapidly uncovered the area of which he touched by ripping the sleeve of my shirt in one motion. 

"You're hurt. You've been bruised." He exclaimed sternly. His blood boiled and his heart beat rapidly. 

Tears were garnering inside my eyes and were about to spill over the edge. Why has my life taken a complete 180-degree turn? 

"I promise to never let anyone else hurt you, princess. I will protect you." He stated while staring into my brown eyes with his crystal blue ones.