Chapter 54

Zayden 

A guard announced that father requested for my presence in his office immediately. With a single nod, I dismissed him and excused myself from the chatting group gathered in the kitchen. 

A stern 'come in' came from the other side of the door when I knocked three times. 

"Ah, Zayden, it's good to see you this morning," father exclaimed with a single nod in acknowledgement that I have entered the room. 

"Good morning, father," I expressed in response. He was a busy man with a lot of tasks to do however I've never seen his office this untidy before. Paperwork was scattered across his desk, the curtains were drawn back allowing the rays of sunshine to stream through, which only emphasized on the bags growing beneath his eyes. He looked physically exhausted. 

"Can I help you in any way, father?" I asked with my hands held at my side. My facial expressions softened up. He seemed to be under a lot of stress and pressure for whatever reason. 

"Zayden, the sun finally flows into this room after you took a step into it as if it's a sign for something to come." He looked up at me with his brown eyes piercing my soul. It was an intense look that made me take a small step back. I studied his expressions closely. He didn't look a day older than from a decade ago, but the bags that have never been there before added a few years onto his look. 

"I remember when I stepped into this office when your grandfather called for me. The sun came into this room just like it had when you stepped in. Zayden, I think it's time." A small smile stretched across his face. My eyes widened at his announcement. I knew exactly what he meant. I have been preparing my whole life for this moment. 

My mother, my father, and my sister pushed me for this moment. We all knew it would come one day or another. 

"F-Father, you're not seriously considering on stepping down, are you?" My knees felt weak even though I knew this day was coming. He continued looking deep into my soul. 

"Zayden, I think you're more than ready. We have been there by your side for every step of the way. With Mia by your side now, I believe this is the right time to take the opportunity and proceed. You are ready, son." 

My palms were sweating. I wiped my hands on my pants but that didn't help much. There was a lump that formed in my throat which prevented me from saying anything. My mouth opened and closed but no sound came from it. 

"Father, I don't know what to say. Are you certain about this decision?" I asked wide-eyed. It was still a shock to me. 

"Zayden, I have watched you since the very first day. You were a natural born leader. I believe you can do it." His words really reassured me. I knew I had to become king of the vampire kingdom and lead the people one day, but I didn't realize that this day would be coming so soon. 

He walked around the desk he had been standing behind then approached me with wide arms. Both arms wrapped around my shoulders and he gave my back a couple heavy encouraging slaps. 

"My father had full faith in me, so now I have full faith in you, son." He took a step back and leaned against the desk with his arms crossed. 

"Preparations for the coronation will be in effect by the end of this week, no later. All the paperwork you see scattered around us has already been dealt with. They have all been entrusted to you with your name." 

I bowed my head to my father. 

"I fully accept this task as king of this kingdom. I swear to lead us with the same principles that have been passed down for generations." 

Father bowed his head to my statements and watched me as I walked out of the office with a serious facial expression. 

After closing the door behind me, I let out a deep breath. My heart was racing. I had to see Mia and talk to her immediately. 

She was not where everyone was when I left the group. Where could they have gone? I searched the corridors with long strides. My hands were shaking and my heart continued slamming against my chest. 

I froze on my tracks when I passed by a window. She was walking along the east garden and was brushing her fingers along the fully bloomed flower bushes. She seemed so peaceful. How could I put this much pressure onto her when she seemed completely unbothered? 

No. But I had to tell her. I couldn't keep anything from her. We're in this together now, as a team, as a couple, and as soulmates. 

She greeted me with a bright smile and lunged herself at me with both arms wrapped around my neck. She stood on tippy toes and her eyes sparkled while staring back into mine. I couldn't help but smile at her adorable reaction when she saw me. 

"Zayden, these flowers are beautiful. I love it here!" She exclaimed with a wide smile and she let out a cute laugh. 

"I'm very glad you enjoy it," I exclaimed then stared off into the distance for a bit before she caught my attention again. It was a butterfly that had landed on one of the bloomed flowers right next to us. We were both quiet for a second. I stared at the butterfly and I suddenly felt okay. The fresh air rushed into my lungs. 

I was standing with Mia in my arms. Life couldn't have been any better. There was no reason for me to overthink something like this. I knew this was coming, so what was I stressing over? 

That's right... Mia's reaction to this whole announcement. She had just turned to become one of us and that was already a huge responsibility but to lay this news so soon after might be too much. 

My arms dropped and I held onto both of Mia's hands. 

"Mia, father wanted to see me about something and he wanted me to pass on the message. He's expecting me to take over the throne no later than by the end of this week." Her wide eyes continued to sparkle and she did not show any difference in facial expressions but she held onto my hands tightly until her knuckles turned white. 

"Mia?" I asked when she didn't move but continued staring at me with her beautiful eyes. 

"I-I think I need to-," she let go of my hands and turned her back to me before finishing the sentence. My mouth was open and I wanted to reach out to her but I resisted. She clearly needed space. 

Her feet began taking one step at a time away from me. I followed her silently. She brushed past the curtain of vines and we both walked into the canopy that rested in the corner of the property. 

My mate sat down on one of the swings in the middle of the canopy. Her face was down and she was staring at her hands that were resting on her lap. 

"I'm scared, Zayden. What if I'm not enough for your kingdom? What if I can't stand tall by your side?" She looked up at me with feared eyes. They were wide and scared. I was standing in front of her, looking down. My shoulders fell to her questions. 

Falling onto both of my knees in front of her, my hands cupped over hers. 

"Mia, you are more than enough. You are my world. We are in this together. There's nothing I would want to do without you." I grabbed onto one of her hands with mine and placed a gentle kiss. 

I heard her heartbeat race, so still holding onto her hands, I rested my ear against her chest and closed my eyes. Her heartbeat slowed to a steady pace and our heartbeats matched. 

Letting out a small breath, I whispered into the air around us, "I love you, Mia. I will be with you for every step of the way. We will move slowly together and work together." 

A finger tucked under my chin and forced my head upwards to look up into her eyes. 

"Zayden." She whispered before leaning down and placing a soft kiss onto my lips.