Chapter 23

Zayden 

My eyes looked right into William's as soon as the rogue prince roared that declaration straight at my father. My sister's life was at sake and whatever she was doing right now could put her into even more danger. 

Mother, Aunt Jillian, Captain Caleb, and Uncle Aidan bolted to join father by his side and the four of them let off a strong energy that washed onto the rogues. They did not know that with the combined powers of the vampire kingdom there would be destruction especially if one of us was threatened.

Guards filed through the opening of the main doors with their swords and defense mode. There hasn't been an attack on this property for ages.

I stepped back a couple steps and nodded once towards William so that he could be excused and check up on my little sister.  She was nowhere in sight and I planned to keep it that way, as well as everyone else. 

Before turning back to face the front of the line, I spotted Hazel standing behind the last line of guards and she was glancing over the crowd by standing on the last few steps of the main stairs. 

I excused myself from the line then brushed past several guards before I reached her. 

"Hazel, what do you plan to do if we ever get caught in the midst of an attack?" I asked her. I needed to know that she would stay safe, for my sake as well as for her parents'. 

She brought a hand from behind her back and revealed that she had been clenching tightly onto the hilt of her unsheathed sword. 

"I didn't bring this for nothing. I am fighting. And I will not stand by to watch the people I love get injured. We will fight together, Zayden." She gave a small smile. So I gave a larger one and pulled her into a short hug. 

We made our ways together to the front of the line where our parents stood. 

Caleb glanced behind to see his daughter suited up and ready. This was a moment where I have seen him at his proudest. 

"Do not make me declare my purpose here again, king." Samuel shouted from the other side of the gate. Father's fists clenched and I could feel the energy and power surging beneath mother's façade. 

"I heard you loud and clear. There is a reason for our silence. You came here and brought disturbance on my land. Now you will beg for mercy." Father spat back in an authoritative voice. 

My fangs drew down and a low growl surfaced from deep under my chest. Hazel's fangs came down and she got into defense mode. 

Before we knew it, the gate was smashed in then slammed against the exterior of the castle. Rogues were bolting in left and right with their full werewolf form. 

The front line of guards came charging with their claws held tightly onto the hilt of their sword as well as their fully extended fangs. 

Mother ran towards the center of attack first with father following her. I then ran into the bloodshed with my sword held firmly in my grasp. 

A tall brown werewolf attacked me from the side and knocked me off balance but I regained my stance and growled while bolting towards him. He was a big werewolf but that only meant that he was slower and more clumsy. 

I charged towards his open arms then surprised him by sliding down onto my side and going in-between his legs. I angled my sword to slice quickly at both of his hamstrings. My momentum stopped when I reached past his body and behind him. I stood up, letting out a small breath, and watched him collapse to his right side, screaming in pain. 

The pain had caused immense shock to his body that he instantaneously switched back to his human form and laid on the ground in a fetal position while gripping onto both the places where I had severed.