Chapter 18

Zayden 

I kicked a rock down the declining slope that Hazel and I were walking on. The rock continued to tumble until it fell into the narrow stream with a soft 'plop'. The two of us made small talk about the weather and training and how Hazel was advancing up the ranks. 

I was impressed at how she was growing and progressing. I had always viewed her as a smaller sister, aside from Alexia, of course. 

We trekked down to the stream and we skipped onto a couple boulders in order to get to the other side. Hazel was enjoying this walk just as much as I was. She breathed out a heavy sigh then turned to face me with a bright smile. The sun was on the horizon and minutes away from setting completely. 

"I'm so happy for Alexia. She found someone that will love her and cherish her. She deserves the best." Her arms stretched into the air and she closed her eyes while inhaling the fresh cool air. The smile remained the same on her face. 

Leaves brushed gently against our clothes and she then faced back to me. 

"Let's continue walking, I think we both strongly needed this." She stated. I nodded with a small smile and pressed a hand on her lower back to urge her forwards just a bit. 

We were quiet for a bit until a certain scent caught my attention and I paused to look around our surroundings. My vampire and werewolf senses heightened and I tried to zone the scent out to a narrow direction in the woods. Never have I detected such a strong scent. 

"What is it, Zayden?" Hazel asked me with her eyebrows furrowed. I pressed a finger against my lips and nodded in the direction where the scent was coming from. I heard a twig snapping from exactly a mile away. 

"Follow me." I whispered then sprinted fast enough so my steps pressed only lightly onto the forest floor. She ran after me and only stopped sprinting until she saw me hiding behind a tree. 

There she was. Majesty and delicate as ever. Her heart was beating quickly and I couldn't take my eyes off her. My pupils dilated at the sight of Mia. She was wrapped in hiking gear and wore a knit hat and scarf that made her look even more adorable. 

Hazel's breathing was as steady as mine and nobody could've sensed that the two of us were spying behind the tree. Not even Mia's rogue boyfriend. 

Not soon after spotting the couple, their voices raised louder and turned out to actually be a dispute between Mia and her boyfriend. I watched them closely. Hazel's eyes would flickered between Mia and the back of my head but I didn't pay her much attention since Mia had captivated all my attention. 

I closed my eyes and focused my hearing more onto their conversation and heard it clearly. 

"I need you to be honest with me. Can you do that?" Mia asked and glanced up at her boyfriend as he was walking in front of her. He didn't turn around or say anything that would hint that he was listening to her. 

"Please, I want you to be honest with me when I ask you this question." She paused and looked back up at him for any reaction, when she found none, she proceeded. "Are you cheating on me? Are you in love with someone else?" The rogue werewolf stops on his tracks then turns to face her with a mighty height. 

His heart was pounding and his chest heaving up and down in large motions. Mia withered and took a couple steps back since his eyes were threatening and held a dark, fiery look inside them. 

I took a step forward but was held back momentarily with Hazel's hand pressed against my chest. 

"Let me go, he's going to hurt her." I stated with a dangerous glare in my eyes and Hazel held her hand up with her eyebrows raised. A low growl escaped from my chest and as soon as it did, the rogue werewolf's hand struck across Mia's face. 

My mind didn't think. My body didn't hold back. I sprinted then lunged straight at the werewolf. His body toppled down to the ground and I held him to the ground, throwing punch after punch. I only saw red and dreaded for this werewolf's blood to be spilt. The werewolf barely held any energy since he didn't bother throwing me from atop his body. My arms and muscles burned but I kept hitting him. 

There was a faded shout in the background and I saw Hazel hugging Mia back so she couldn't get hurt but Mia was resisting Hazel's hold. 

"You're hurting him! You're going to kill him! Get away! Stop! Please stop!" I finally stopped hitting the werewolf after hearing the last of Mia's pleads. 

I stepped back from the limp body and then took a deep breath. What does Mia make of me after this? What could she possibly be thinking about me? That I am a monster? An uncontrollable animal? 

Turning around to face Mia, her feared face was the only thing I could see. My mind cleared and I just wanted to reach out to her and reassure her that she would not get hurt again. 

There was a bruise forming on her cheek and as soon as I put my hand out to reach for her, she recoiled in fear. She slipped from Hazel's embrace with wide, scared eyes. 

"D-Don't touch me. Please." Her voice trembled and her eyes were tearing up. She was shaking and if I could just reach out to her and wrap around her with my arms then I would make sure that she would not get hurt ever again. If she would just give me the chance. 

"Mia." I stated her name but she just shook her head violently with tears spilling down her cheeks. Hazel just stared at me with wide eyes and her mouth slightly ajar. I had no idea what I was doing but I knew for sure that I just wanted to comfort Mia after what she had just seen. 

"Let me help you. I'm sorry." I desperately exclaimed but she didn't say anything. 

She couldn't say anything because she was already running away from Hazel and I. I stared at her retreating back and there was no way of knowing whether I would see her again or not. 

A/N: 

Happy New Year!!! Let's hope for another amazing year! I'm so happy to have you all by my side. I love you all! Take care of yourselves and I will see you again in the next chapter! 

~Jade xoxo