Chapter 31

William 

Pacing back and forth in the same area where Alexia and Aidan exited from the castle property, I stood frozen as soon as I heard the queen's voice call out to me. 

I turned around quickly then plastered a bright smile on my face. 

"Good afternoon, my queen." I bowed my head to her. She gave a warm smile. 

"Please, we're family now, you don't have to do that." She patted me on the shoulder lightly. I let out a small chuckle then rubbed the back of my neck. 

"Do you know where Alexandria went? I can't seem to find her anywhere." She questioned. I shook my head with both my eyebrows raised. She glared at me with one eyebrow raised and her arms crossed. 

"William, you wouldn't lie to me, would you?" I let out another chuckle. She was still the queen of this kingdom. There was no way I could deceive her of some made-up story. "You wouldn't dare lie to the queen." She paused then gave me a side look. "Or your mother-in-law." She finalized her statement. I blew out a sigh. 

She was definitely intimidating to say the least. I couldn't lie to anybody and if anything, she could quickly find out whether I'm lying or not because of my heartbeat. 

"Alexia and Aidan are both on a mission to bring Zayden back home. I believe they know where he is, they should be back any minute now." I exclaimed under one breath. The queen's expression changed from a frown to a fully-shocked look. 

"But please don't panic, Queen Violet. I'm sure they're all fine-" I was cut off mid-sentence when she bolted, from where she was standing, and into the castle. 

Oh no, oh no, oh no!!  I panicked myself then run off after her. This could only end up to be worse than it already is. 

When I tracked her down, she was in the garage getting into a car with King Asher and Captain Caleb. 

As soon as they turned the car on, there was a shout coming from the front gate. I sprinted to the source of the shouting and discovered that it was Alexia who was trying to grab my attention. 

"Hey, can you open the gate?" She exclaimed, almost out of breath. I nodded without saying anything then opened it wide enough for the three of them to pass through. The smell of blood consumed my senses as soon as they walked through the gate. 

I shut the heavy iron gate behind them then turned to face the sight in front of me. I reassured the queen by saying that everything was perfectly fine, but I was clearly wrong. 

Alexia and Aidan were uninjured and the smell of blood was coming directly from the prince. He was sliding in and out of unconsciousness. He was merely hanging on by a thread. 

The queen, king, and captain ran right to us and froze in their steps. 

Zayden was taking shallow breaths and despite his efforts to keep his eyes open, he offered a small smile to his parents then said, "hey mom, hey dad." 

My eyes were wide at his ability to still say something after the damage that he's been through, especially since he just barely recovered from the werewolf attack. That wasn't too long ago and yet he's already on his way to the infirmary. 

"Zayden Raymond Sinclair, what on earth happened?" Queen Violet stated with surprise written all over her face. She was shocked but also worried, while also showing signs of being furious. The older adults displayed expressions of absolute shock. 

I cleared my throat then nodded once in the direction of the main doors, which I opened for Alexia and Aidan so they could carry Zayden in. 

The doctor was ready when we approached her on the operating table in the infirmary. There were no patients on the hospital beds and she was prepared to examine Zayden. Behind the hassle of the infirmary, the king, queen, and captain all followed us into the operating room. 

Not only was Zayden's face pale, but his whole body was completely drained of blood and his heart was beating slowly. 

"Good news is that he will survive, but the only reason why he's too weak now is because of his recent injuries. I told him not to do anything extraneous, but with all due respect, you are terrible at listening to professional instructions." She exclaimed while shaking her head slightly. She checked in the refrigerator for any liters of blood and found three pouches. 

"Here, drink up." She cut a corner of the first pouch then held it over Zayden's slightly open lips. 

He was gulping the blood down in no time and the wounds on his chest and leg were coming together almost instantly. 

"You better tell us exactly what's going on, young man." King Asher demanded with his face completely red with fury. His fists were clenched and ready to punch the closest thing. 

I stood beside Alexia then offered her my hand so I could give it a reassuring squeeze. This could only end badly in the way that it was headed. 

"I was defending my mate." Zayden sat up on the operating table as he scrunched his face in pain. 

Queen Violet and King Asher stood with their mouths slightly open in shock. This evening was filled with surprises and I'm not sure how much more the king and queen could take before exploding. 

"My mate's name is Mia and she is a human. I was defending her because she has a possessive ex-boyfriend who is still obsessed over her. She wanted to end things with him but he wouldn't allow it." He paused then swallowed the lump in his throat. "He also happens to be a rogue werewolf." 

As soon as he finished his words, the king slammed his fist onto the corner of the table. The sharp snapping sound was powerful and almost made me want to recoil in fear. He was my mate's father and if that wasn't intimidating enough then I wasn't sure what was. 

"Zayden, what were you thinking in getting involved with a rogue werewolf again? The last one nearly killed you." The king stated through gritted teeth. 

"I told you, I was defending my human mate. There was no way that she could stand up for herself in her current form. I wouldn't have to worry if she wasn't human." He refuted. My eyes were flickering back and forth from the father and son. When the king crossed his arms across his chest, Zayden scoffed then rolled his eyes at his father. 

"Are you serious? You would've done the same thing for mother." The prince exclaimed. I held my breath after he said that aloud. Everyone's hearts was pounding against their chest, even the two people arguing. 

The doctor stepped in just in time before the king said anything back to his son. 

"Everybody needs to step out this instant, I need to make sure the patient is well." She exclaimed then ushered people to the door. 

When I walked out into the hallway, my eyebrows were raised and I was speechless. The Sinclair family was absolutely silent and I felt so out of place. I felt uncomfortable to even move a single nerve since everybody was so deep in their thoughts. 

Alexia was the first to move and she dragged me with her by gripping onto my hand firmly. We were walking in silence to her bedroom. 

I closed the door behind me and when I turned back around, her blood-stained shirt was removed and she was standing there with her pants and bra. I felt my face getting hot and she blushed. 

"I just wanted to hug you without getting your shirt dirty." She exclaimed shyly. It was very rarely that the Sinclair family fought and when they did, the energy behind the castle walls turned melancholic.