Chapter 33

Zayden 

Following Mia's scent led me straight to where it all started. The music was booming through the nightclub walls and vibrated into the long line of humans standing outside the building. The line was so long that it wrapped around the back of the nightclub, yet people were patiently waiting to enter. 

The scent of humans and their sweat completely threw me off from Mia's sweet smell but I knew that she was here since the trail ended right where the entrance was. 

The human bodyguard, who was busy ushering people back to the line, seemed distracted so I sprinted into the nightclub in a blur. He did not suspect a thing. I usually didn't use my vampire abilities to fool humans, but when I did, it was for a good cause. There was no way in hell that I would stand in line for the rest of the evening when I knew that Mia would be inside. Who knows what could be happening to her at this moment.  

The music was bursting my eardrums but I remained focused on the VIP room standing behind the thick crowd of people. I flinched when a woman in her early 20's tumbled into my body. On instinct, I held onto her arms with a firm grasp from both hands. 

She was clearly intoxicated and was staring at me with wide eyes. A bright smile stretched across her face. Grabbing onto my hand, she pulled me right to the middle of the dance floor. Her female friends were waiting for her and when she returned, hauling me behind her, all her friends were staring at me like I was some sort of candy. 

I mentally pushed them aside then glanced past the top of everybody's head in search for the room that has the sign "VIP". When I laid my eyes on it, I began walking towards it like it was luring me towards it. I was separating myself from the group of ladies and they were trying to pull me back into their dance circle but I just tugged myself away from them then brushed past the crowd without looking back. 

I had a much more important woman on my mind and there was no way that I would let anybody distract me from getting to her. 

When I approached the designated VIP room, I zoned my concentration into the room behind the door. There was no sound coming from it. Absolutely no heartbeats. 

So I glanced around to see if anybody would see me, but everybody was preoccupied with their dance and drinking partners. I took that as a sign to sneak into the pitch-black room. Though, lucky for me, I was about to make out every single shape in the dark. My vision allowed me to see that the VIP lounge had been untouched throughout the evening and not even a speck of dust was in the air. 

I kept my senses extremely heightened, however, and walked around to see anything out of the ordinary. The music was thumping through the walls but that was about it. Nothing was misplaced. The bar was spotless and the chairs were neatly tucked in. 

I was approaching the very back of the VIP lounge and I could not recall ever being back here before, like when Uncle Aidan and I barged in to rescue Alexia and Hazel. 

There was a back door and when I cracked it open about a few centimeters so I could peek inside, there was a staircase leading straight down to an underground level. There was a dim light illuminating from the bottom of the staircase. I felt a strong gut instinct that Mia was down there. I could make out the sound of two strong heartbeats but the smell of werewolves overwhelmed me. 

I felt tempted to crack the door open more and travel down the staircase but the doctor's orders echoed inside my head. She did not want me performing anymore extraneous activities and since I knew that going downstairs would do exactly that, I closed the door gently then backed away. 

I needed to think everything through and have at least one other person face the werewolves with me because there was no way that I could end up in that infirmary again. 

Bolting to the entrance that I took, I walked through the door then glanced at the familiar crowd and deafening music. It all seemed like a fun time but not when my mate had been captured by rogue werewolves. 

I sprinted down the roads in a blur and into the woods towards the direction of the castle. If I needed someone to help me, it had to be either Uncle Aidan, my sister, or Hazel. 

The two guards opened the gate wide enough for me to run through. They were slightly alarmed but did not seem concerned. I ran through a side door that was somewhere near Uncle Aidan's room. 

The hallways were vacant and quiet. The only light in the hallway was from the sconces hanging along the wall. Uncle Aidan's room wasn't far away from the door where I entered so I walked up to it subtly then knocked on it lightly. 

He heard it clearly since I heard from shuffling out of his bed then walking to his double dark oak doors. He opened it with messy bed hair and only pajama pants. When he realized that it was me, his eyes widened, then he stepped to the side to invite me into his room. 

"What's wrong?" He asked me with urgency. I sat down on one of his chairs in the small sitting area near the window. I then rubbed my face with both hands. 

"There's an underground level to the nightclub. I saw it when I went into the VIP room." I replied. Both his eyebrows raised then he crossed his arms across his chest. 

"You made sure that nobody saw you, right?" He asked with a warning tone. I nodded to his question, resulting in him letting out a sigh of relief. 

But that only raised another question, "But how could nobody have seen you snooping around the VIP lounge?" 

"It was completely dark and empty. There was literally nobody, I could've sworn that every werewolf in that room was downstairs in the basement. I tracked Mia's scent to the nightclub and I know that she's down there." When Uncle Aidan was lost again, I sighed. "When I went to Mia's house, her door was cracked open. Nothing was missing, except for her. Three werewolves took her from her own home then dragged her to the nightclub, exactly where her trail ended. 

My uncle was quiet. He was lost in deep thoughts. 

"So I take it that you want to go into the basement then, obviously rescue Mia, but wipe out the werewolves down there, correct?" He verified with me. I nodded again. 

"Alright, let's do it." Aidan exclaimed.