Chapter 34

Zayden 

The garage door hummed quietly as it opened, exposing the cars to the dark night. I climbed into the black BMW X5 driver's seat with Aidan climbing into the passenger seat. 

"You got your sword with you right?" I asked him in verification. He nodded to my question then threw his sheathed sword into the back seat. 

"Careful, father would kill me if the leather seats got ripped because of two swords left in the back seat of his car." I stated then glanced in the rear view mirror to make sure that it was alright before starting the engine. Hopefully it wasn't too loud that it woke somebody up. 

"How are you holding up about your father?" He asked me then sent a side glance in my direction. I shrugged in response then pulled the car out of the garage. The garage door closed behind us. 

Aidan rolled the window down to the two guards who stood at the gate. They nodded once without a single word then allowed us through. 

I sped down the winding roads with my window rolled down. The slightly chilling winds flowed into the car but it only cooled the heat surging through my veins a little bit. 

"Has anybody gone looking for me?" I asked curiously, while keeping one hand on the steering wheel and my eyes to the road ahead. 

"Nobody wanted to disturb your rest. In the hours before you left, I think Alexandria and Hazel wanted to see you. I think your mother wanted to see you as well, but the doctor told them 'no' because you've been under a lot of pressure lately and needed to be healed with the proper amount of rest." He replied to my question. I nodded slowly. Mother tried to see me? 

My heart did a small skip. I felt happy but at the same time, I also felt bad. She was probably wanting to talk to me about how unreasonable father was. She was always the moderator, understanding of both perspectives. But a wave of guilt washed over me since I haven't been resting at all. I was doing the exact opposite and if they found out that Aidan was in on this too, then it would be his ass on the line. 

"I don't want to give you any trouble, Uncle." I exclaimed with a slight frown on my face. That wasn't what I wanted, but I couldn't risk putting anybody else's life on the line. The rogue werewolves were a serious business and I couldn't have my sister or Hazel facing them, knowing what the werewolves put them against the very first time in the nightclub. 

"But I would take the responsibility for everything if it ever came to that point. I don't want you kids getting in trouble with your parents, or even losing their trust to leave the castle property again. It's one thing to feel free and grateful for what you have, but it's also another thing to feel constrained behind walls." Uncle Aidan spoke up. He was right. I didn't want Alexia or Hazel to get caught in the middle of my mess. I knew that Uncle Aidan would come up with something and even speak up against father. 

I took my eyes off the road for a millisecond to see my uncle's facial expression when his eyes widened and he pointed straight at the road. My head snapped back to its initial position. 

A werewolf, in its fully grown dark brown fur, was standing at the center of the road ahead of us. His face wore a terrible-looking scowl and a scar ran down the side of his face and ended at his neck. I applied more pressure onto the pedal, resulting in the SUV to accelerate faster down the declining twisty road. 

My eyes were glued to the road while Aidan twisted around in his seat to grab both my sword and his. The werewolf ahead of us launched itself into the air then landed atop the hood of the car. His full form covered all of the windshield, blocking my view of the road, but I found a small gap in which I could still barely see what's ahead of us. 

"Don't slow down." Aidan declared. 

"I wasn't planning on it." I smirked then swerved the car a couple times to shake the werewolf off the car, or at least distract him. He let out a booming growl. 

With Aidan's window rolled down, he unsheathed his sword then allowed his upper torso to hang out of the window. The werewolf was preoccupied with him, which allowed me to get a clear view of the street. 

The blade of his sword sliced a deep wound into the side of the werewolf. He let out a small yelp but scowled and attempted to claw at Aidan, while hanging onto the roof of the car with one claw. 

Aidan leaned more forward out of the car and sliced behind the werewolf's knee, causing him to tumble down onto the hood of the car. Aidan then stretched more and slashed his sword at the claw that was gripping tightly at the roof of the car. 

I glanced up for a brief second to see that his long nail were digging through the roof. Having one hand on the wheel, I grabbed for my sword with my right hand then jabbed the sword straight up, where the hand was. 

He howled then let go. His body would not be slowed down by the momentum. It happened so quickly that his body basically fell backwards and with the car still going at the same speed, his body got caught under the car and multiple bones cracked when the car ran over it. 

I glanced in the rearview mirror and saw his human form laying helplessly in the middle of the road. 

"Don't slow down, keep going. He won't be going anywhere. They know that we're coming. We have to hurry." Aidan instructed with his upper torso still out the window, keeping a lookout for anymore surprises. I agreed to his statements. 

When he was coming back inside the vehicle, a deafening roar sounded. A werewolf was charging from the woods and straight to Aidan's side of the car. The wolf stretched its claw outwards then caught onto Aidan's shirt and didn't let go. 

I leaned over with my eyes on the road then got my sword and cut the limb off from the werewolf. The roar was no longer there, but rather a scream of pain. 

Aidan ducked inside the BMW and let out a deep breath. He saw where the severed claw landed and it was right next to his feet, so before rolling up his windows, he discarded the claw by throwing it out the window. 

"This is going to be one hell of a story to tell the family." He exclaimed with his eyes closed and his head leaned back against the headrest.