11. Jefferson

Thomas felt an overwhelming sense of confidence and victory as he opened the door to his room. He hadn't even confronted Hamilton about the dirt that he found but he felt like he'd beaten the shorter man in a game of really competitive chess. If the game of chess was revolved around finding the dirtiest choice for some form of blackmail before the other player could take you down. Jefferson was fairly sure that his roommate wasn't planning on taking him down or whatever, but it was still better to have the dirt and not need it, right? That and the most the Thomas knew about the Alexander Hamilton was that he had a name and almost never slept for more than a nap's length at a time. 

The first thing that he noticed when he walked into the room fully was that it was lacking a certain other presence that was necessary for the confrontation. It was a mild inconvenience. He could just sit and wait for Alexander to come back. 

Thomas glanced on the cracked screen of his phone for the time, it was only three o'clock, so he shouldn't have to wait for very long.

So he waited. 

And he waited. 

And waited. 

And waited. 

And then what happened next? He waited some more.

Eventually, he fell asleep waiting. It almost seemed like one of those stereotypical romance movie scenes where the lonely wife is waiting on the porch of her two-bedroom house with her hound dog for her husband to come home from the war. Of course, the was no real cliched end to that story. It's a pretty even split between he comes home and they hug and live long happy lives and she waits there until finally, she sees his ghost when it's her time to go.

Needless to say, the unplanned nap was more than welcome, but of course, it just had to be cut short by the center of sleep deprivation himself whisper yelling at someone.

"No! Put the box over there-- No, not there! Laf, you gotta-- Oh, good morning Thomas, I got a T.V."

Thomas looked between his old friend from his Paris trip, his roommate, and the small television that was barely balancing on a shelf. It was just big enough to have its own VCR player. 

"Uh, yes, good morning, Thomas! I helped him get the T.V."

Instead of saying anything, Thomas just gave them a thumbs up and turned over to go back to sleep. It wasn't until he heard the door close that he remembered why he fell asleep in the first place. 

"Hamilton!" He shouted as he sat up. He looked at his roommate who was perched on the edge of his bed staring intently at the new addition to the otherwise dull room. "Alexander." 

"What do you want, I'm trying to watch Mulan." 

"I want to ask you about something." 

"You'd better hurry up and ask it before a song starts. Whether you're talking or not, I will sing along." 

"Well, you know James Madison right?" 

"I met him a couple times."

"He told me something interesting today. Something about you doing everyone else's dirty work for money in high school?" For some reason, Thomas started getting annoyed. "Were you seriously too lazy to get a real job that you had to do what other people wouldn't for money?"

As he said it out loud, it didn't seem so weird that he was getting annoyed. Thomas grew up around two older sisters that had to go multiple nights with no sleep because they had to get two jobs each to keep their family alive, on top of school work and making sure their siblings had everything they needed. Here this prick was that was probably just another teen that wanted mall-money but was too lazy to hold a real job.

"You have no idea what you're talking about and if you would like to keep the ability to talk, you may want to drop the subject." Alex glared through the side of his eye. Thomas felt like he'd really struck a vein since the most iconic Mulan song was playing and Hamilton didn't so much as bob his head to the beat. Nobody can resist the beat.

"I think I have some sort of idea," he continued. "You didn't want to deal with a stable work schedule that would interrupt whatever plans that you wanted to make with friends or whatever. You wanted a job that you could bend to your will and do whatever you wanted with."

"I actually needed the extra money that came with picking up jobs, asshat."

"Oh yeah? Why? What was so important that you felt the need to just not get a real job?"

"That's not your business."

"So you just wanted more money for less work?"

"No, I needed the money in general. You don't know shit about me, Jefferson, stop trying to figure it out." Hamilton turned his attention fully back to the movie. 

"What about the person that supposedly died, huh? You think they cared--"

Alexander stood up and stabbed the power button on the T.V. with his finger so hard that it probably should have been broken. 

"Like I said, you have absolutely no fucking clue what you're talking about, so stop talking about it," Alex growled. He stormed out of the room and Thomas was left with even fewer answers than before. 

He leaned back onto his pillow, enjoying the quiet from having scared his roommate off. With any luck, he could just keep doing that and Alexander would get so sick of it that he'd request a totally new one and then Thomas was home free for a better roommate. 

With that thought in his mind and close to no guilt about pushing the other man to the point of storming out, Thomas went back to sleep.