12. Hamilton

If there was one thing that really irritated Hamilton, it was that everyone that he'd met already knew about the jobs that he used to do. Still does, now, but that's beside the point. They never asked about what he's doing now, they just bring up that he "probably killed someone."

Funny how everyone knows how that story goes when I'm the only one that was there, he thought. 

To be clear, he did not take on the jobs because he was lazy or just a bad person. He figured that if he took up jobs from other people instead of working fast food, he could put more money toward his mom's treatment and food for him and his cousin. If anything, that makes him less selfish, right?

Of course, Peter wasn't the most approving person when it came to the jobs, especially in the end when people really got the idea that there wasn't much their classmate wouldn't do for money. The jobs either got dangerous or more illegal and Peter got more and more apprehensive with each job. 

Which led to the last one that Alexander did in high school. 

Nobody died, that was a definite. He still somewhat interacted with the person that 'died', actually. 

Alex shook the memory from his head. Just because no one died, doesn't mean that he didn't feel at least somewhat bad. Someone still got hurt, that was enough to throw off his entire system. 

He stormed around the campus for around an hour, barely paying attention to where he was going. Before he knew it, he was on the other side of campus, the end with all of the fraternities and stereotypical things like that. He was planning on going back to his dorm room before he ran into someone, literally. 

"Hey!" The man turned around and almost decked Hamilton square in the jaw.  "Who are you? I haven't seen you around here." 

"I was on a walk."

"That really doesn't answer my question, does it? Who are you?" The man stared Alexander down like he was an alpha wolf being challenged. 

Alex lifted himself slightly on the balls of his feet to look taller before answering. "Alexander Hamilton. Who are you?" His voice sounded like it was supposed to be threatening but there really isn't much threatening that a five foot seven guy could really do. The other man seemed to catch it, though.

"Your worst nightmare if you don't drop that tone," he growled. 

"Oh wow, really edgy. What, are you gonna play some My Chemical Romance and flip your bad haircut until I get trapped in the black parade?"

"Okay, listen here--" He took a step forward. 

"His name is Charles Lee and he's working on getting his temper under control," someone else said as he ran up to the two. "Isn't that right?"

Charles crossed his arms and glared at Hamilton. 

"I'm Samuel," the new member of the conversation held his hand out for Hamilton to shake. "Charles is still working on being decent to other people. It's a work in progress, though at this point it's more work than progress." He muttered the last part but right after it was out of his mouth, an obnoxiously big smile was back on his face. 

"Sam I swear--"

"He's actually attending a party tonight! You should come to it, as far as I know, it's a 'the more the merrier' sort of thing--"

"It's really not."

"--so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to come to!" 

Alex glanced between Samuel and Charles and, out of nothing short of spite, smiled. "I don't think I have anything better to do." 

Lee rolled his eyes and walked away, leaving Alexander and Samuel to talk for a second. 

"Like I said, it's a work in progress," Sam looked worriedly behind him but shrugged. He seemed significantly more nervous now that his friend was gone. "He usually warms up to people pretty quickly though." 

"He looked ready to shoot me because I insulted his hair."

"So he's a little impulsive." Sam waved it off and looked behind him again, noticing that Charles was actually waiting over by a fountain for him to follow. "Really, he's a nice guy." 

"Well, since we're talking, what are you studying here?"

"Oh! Right, uhm, computer sciences, actually. You know, coding and all that technological stuff. . . Really, though, I should get going before Lee gets even more upset." With that, Samuel ran to meet back up with Charles and they walked away, most likely talking about how necessary it was to invite Alexander to the party. 

Despite the obvious unwelcome tone of Lee's voice, Hamilton was most definitely going to come to the party. Not to see if Charles Lee really was a decent a guy, it was actually because Samuel seemed like the type of person to get legitimately sad if he was let down.