39. Hamilton

If he had a rubber ball, Alexander would feel like the perfect prisoner. Maybe a metal mug to drag across some bars and a harmonica. He could probably make a jammin' band out of that. Sam on the harmonica, him on the mugbars with some vocals thrown in. . . 

And he was officially crazy. 

"Hey, Sam."

"What?" 

"You think we could make a jail band?" 

Sam snorted and laughed a little before he started coughing. Alex had no doubt that Samuel's throat was as dry and sore as his own since it had been days since they'd gotten a comfortable amount of food or drink. King would come down occasionally with the bare minimum, but Hamilton definitely wanted to see Maria with a tray of food. 

"Alex, this isn't jail, you know. Neither of us did anything wrong to be here." 

That sparked curiosity. 

"Why are you here, anyway? I mean, why did they choose to take you?" 

Seabury was quiet for a second. "That's, uhm, George and I were in a relationship a while ago and he wasn't. . . he isn't a nice guy. Lee convinced me to move in with him instead and I just ended it with George. . . Blocked his number and everything." He sighed. "I didn't even know he went here." 

Alex's mind floated back to the job he did against Sam. It seemed like a million years ago, but he realized that he was the reason that Sam was even there in the first place. He didn't bring up that little fact. 

"Wait, George?"

"Oh, right. King. The apparent ringleader. He always uses his last name to sound more intimidating, I mean really, would you have taken him seriously with a name like George?" 

"No, definitely not." 

They stopped talking when the door opened. If they were looking for subtlety, they should have really fixed the door. Hamilton listened to the footsteps to try and figure out who it was. It was quiet, so he was probably going to have to wait longer for good food and water, and they weren't particularly excited, so it wasn't King or Adams. That only left one person. . . 

Sure enough, James Reynolds appeared in the doorway to Alex's cell. 

"Hey, Hammy," 

"Fuck you." 

"Nice to see you too, this is your last chance to switch places with Jefferson. We aren't going to ask again and you're going to hate what happens if you say no," James said. He just went through it like he really didn't want Hamilton to change his mind but he had to say it anyway. "So?"

Alexander pretended to think about it. 

"You know, now that I'm thinking about it, my answer has changed! Yeah, it used to be 'fuck off' now I think it's 'go to hell'. That seems more fitting." Hamilton smiled innocently, which Reynolds returned. As soon as James was smiling, Alex's fell to a look of confusion. "What's got you so damn happy?" 

"Oh, nothing," he hummed. He shut the door and moved over to Sam's. "I told you, though, you'd hate what happens." 

Alex walked himself over to the bars and watched confused as Reynolds unlocked Sam's chain and pulled him out of the cell. It suddenly hit him that whatever was happening, it probably didn't have to do with letting Samuel go. 

"What are you doing!?" Alex called. Sam looked like he was too shocked to do anything. "Bring him back!" 

James didn't listen. Hamilton listened to the still creaky door open and close. He refused to admit that he couldn't do anything about it though, so he continued screaming and shouting at anyone that could hear him until he physically couldn't anymore.