36. Hamilton

After what felt like days of being in the cell, Alexander figured out what Sam meant by trusting Maria and John Andre. Apparently, after Alex got taken, Laurens joined in on their little trust-circle. Hamilton refused to accept any food or drink from Laurens. 

He barely wanted to take anything from Maria, why would he want to take it from his former best friend?

It was almost right after Maria and the Johns left that someone else came down. They made no attempt to be quiet so Alex knew that it wasn't Maria, Laurens, or Andre coming down one more time for something. At first, he thought it was for Sam since King would come down and take him upstairs. Hamilton didn't want to know what happened when Sam left. 

Alex was surprised when the door to his cell opened, revealing a cocky looking John Adams in the doorway. 

"You know, you might want to lose some of that weight," Hamilton said once Adams was inside. 

"What?"

"For when Thomas finds me. You're going to need to outrun the cops and with all that flab you aren't going to be able to." 

Alex shrugged. He felt his shoulders scrap against the rough wall that he was sitting against, but he chose to ignore it for the sake of looking like he didn't care what happened.

Adams rolled his eyes. "Thomas isn't looking for you."

"Mm, yes he is." 

"No, he isn't." 

"Is." 

"Isn't!"

"He is."

"Not!" 

"You're really lacking in maturity, are you sure you're the one supposed to be down here? I mean, King probably should have sent Reynolds or someone more capable of handling this." Hamilton shrugged again. "You probably snuck down here, which means you can't do anything to me without getting in trouble." 

"King's the one that sent me down here! And Thomas isn't looking for you, he told me himself that he was glad you were gone." 

"Hey, do me a favor, would you? Go tell King to get his ass down here or send someone that's at least decent at making me think that my boyfriend isn't looking for me. Honestly, the way you're talking just makes me think that he's getting too close for comfort and you're trying to get me away from having any hope of getting out." Alexander glared up at Adams. "Tell him I said hi next time you see him."

Adams stayed quiet and held a hard glare at Alex as he left. He left the door open so Hamilton assumed he'd be back. He heard another door open, the jingling of a chain, and shuffling back over to his cell door. He was beyond confused when Sam was shoved inside. 

"Now," Adams said, a smirk pulling onto his face. "I can't do anything to you because you'd probably bite me and you were technically a part of our community. Samuel, on the other hand, is free game." 

Alexander's fearless attitude dropped. Sam looked at him in confusion and Alex matched it.

"So we're playing a game! You can get out of here, Alex, if you take the job that you were given initially. Just switch places with Tom and you can be out of this! Not out of the organization, but out of the cell. What d'ya say?"

"Go fuck yourself."

Adams shrugged. He pushed his foot forcefully into Seabury's back, sending him to his hands and knees on the floor. Hamilton had no doubt that Sam would be bruising in a matter of hours. 

"Every time you say no, Sammy here gets another hit. That was just your warning." Adams kept his foot on Samuel's back to keep him on his hands and knees, but not enough to actually push him down. "So, I'll ask again. What's it going to be."